Pentastar - Which flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... spent too much time combing threads here. I drive a RAM 1500 with a Pentastar 3.6 and most of my driving is mixed, Hwy/City with mostly good cycle times. The OLM will go to about 10,000 miles if I'd let it.

I'd like to stick with a Chrysler MS-6395 spec'd oil until I'm out of warranty. My first change I used Penzoil Ultra but thinking PYB @ 7500 miles would probably do just as good.

Any other oils that perform well in the Pentastar?

I'm using PU 5W30 in my 3.6 Rubicon, and plan on sticking with it. Mobil Super meets the spec if you're into XOM products. I have a few friends using that and are satisfied with it. Those engines run hot which is why I'll stay with the synthetic.

Any oil of your choice that is the proper viscosity stated in your owners manual will perform well in the Pentastar. If your towing often pick a synthetic. I am confident that you or your engine won't know the difference between PP or Castrol, or Valvoline or....
Pick up what's on sale that week and enjoy.

Been changing our Jeep by the OLM which has been about 9000 miles, and sticking with full synthetic. Had been using PP and now switched to PUP. Also been sticking with the recommended 5W-20.

I ran a lot of GC in my wife's T&C. Great performance, UOA looked good. Switched to Havoline Synthetic for a while. Comparable results. Currently on M1 AFE, no UOA yet. I suspect it's fine.
Friend at work has a Dogde van for work, does 5k oci on Mobil Super 5k, no UOA ever, but still ticking along at 121k.
I think pretty much whatever you run is gonna be fine.

I'm in the same boat. We bought a 16 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.2L. I did the first change at 3000 dumped the factory fill and went with PP 5w20. Now it has 7800 on it so 4800 miles on the change and the oil is dark, really dark. For comparison my 5.0 14 Mustang 7500 into the oil change is still translucent with PP 5w20. I bet the Jeep oil is twice as dark. Now I know you can't tell anything from color but I find it odd to be so dark on a brand new motor. It sees mostly highway drive 35 miles each way, so it's up to operating temp every time. I think I'll dump it at 10k and send in a sample that would be 6k on the oil.

Last edited:
I currently use Quaker State 5w-20 synthetic (QSUD) in my 3.6L Ram--it seems to run great, with no perceivable consumption. I'm switching to Amsoil OEM 5w-20 on the next change, but not because I'm dissatisfied with the the QSUD.

Originally Posted By: KevinP
Ok... spent too much time combing threads here. I drive a RAM 1500 with a Pentastar 3.6 and most of my driving is mixed, Hwy/City with mostly good cycle times. The OLM will go to about 10,000 miles if I'd let it.

I'd like to stick with a Chrysler MS-6395 spec'd oil until I'm out of warranty. My first change I used Penzoil Ultra but thinking PYB @ 7500 miles would probably do just as good.

Any other oils that perform well in the Pentastar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back