Penrite 5w-40 Diesel 5 semi-syn - tail pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Currently running the 5w-40 Penrite Diesel 5 (see product data below) in my Holden 3800 V6 engine (petrol) the exhaust appears to be slightly darker in black deposits than when I was running the 5w-40 Penrite Everyday semi-syn.

The fuel I use is the premium, 98 Ron, unleaded it has 50ppm max. There has been no change in driving habits since the oil change. City driving 50% fwy and suburban driving.

Is darkening of the exhaust tail pipe deposits typical when you switch to a mixed fleet oil for petrol and light diesel ?

Penrite Diesel 5
Industry Specifications
API CI-4 PLUS/SL
ACEA A3/B4/E7
Global DLD-2/DLD-3
JASO DH-1
JASO MA
Manufacturer Specifications
MB 228.3/229.3 VW 502.00/505.00 Opel B040 2098
Ford M2C153-H/171-C/913-B/913-C Peugeot PSA D-02
Typical Data
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.859
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40°C 100
at 100°C 14.7
Viscosity Index 152
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -30°C 5,576
Zinc, Mass % 0.122
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.110
Sulphated Ash, mass % 1.34
Base Number 10.7

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toyota62
Is your car burning oil? (More than normal)

No.

300ml maybe in 5000km hardly any ?

The exhaust deposits have always been black and dry, it just appear a little darker than before. Is that something to do the with the higher sulphated ash content of the Diesel 5 compared to the Penrite Everyday 5w-40.

I have switched from BP 98 to Caltex 98 unleaded but the sulfur content of both is 50ppm or less.

Last edited:
If the car is not burning any oil, then I highly doubt the oil is adding to the slightly darker color as the oil will collect combustion contaminants as it works. It may be due to the change in fuel but that may be a long shot also.
How long has it taken to change the color in the tailpipe?
You must have a very discriminating eye for color.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: toyota62
Is your car burning oil? (More than normal)

No.

300ml maybe in 5000km hardly any ?

The exhaust deposits have always been black and dry, it just appear a little darker than before. Is that something to do the with the higher sulphated ash content of the Diesel 5 compared to the Penrite Everyday 5w-40.

I have switched from BP 98 to Caltex 98 unleaded but the sulfur content of both is 50ppm or less.

Caltex and BP are the exact same fuel.

The fuel is made by BP at Kwinana West Aust. but the additives are different as these are added by the re-seller of the fuel.

Not sure if its the extra cleaning by Techron in Caltex Vortex 98 fuel compared to the BP or other chemicals. I have been using the Caltex for 2000 kms I will monitor and see.

Maybe I will switch to Penrite Enviro Plus 5w-40 oil (as it has 5 OEM approvals) the details are in another thread. The Penrite Enviro Plus 5w-40 has 0.8% suphated ash which is approx 40% less SA than the 1.34% SA in the current Diesel 5 oil.

13.gif
21.gif

Last edited:
Is darkening of the exhaust tail pipe deposits typical when you switch to a mixed fleet oil for petrol and light diesel?

I haven't seen such a thing. As for your ash comment, I don't know. Finding something pre-CJ-4 here isn't easy, anyhow, and the Delvac 1 ESP I'm running has the E9 specification (in addition to the E7), bringing SA down to 1.0 or less.

Hi

Currently running the 5w-40 Penrite Diesel 5 (see product data below) in my Holden 3800 V6 engine (petrol) the exhaust appears to be slightly darker in black deposits than when I was running the 5w-40 Penrite Everyday semi-syn.

The fuel I use is the premium, 98 Ron, unleaded it has 50ppm max. There has been no change in driving habits since the oil change. City driving 50% fwy and suburban driving.

Is darkening of the exhaust tail pipe deposits typical when you switch to a mixed fleet oil for petrol and light diesel ?

Penrite Diesel 5
Industry Specifications
API CI-4 PLUS/SL
ACEA A3/B4/E7
Global DLD-2/DLD-3
JASO DH-1
JASO MA
Manufacturer Specifications
MB 228.3/229.3 VW 502.00/505.00 Opel B040 2098
Ford M2C153-H/171-C/913-B/913-C Peugeot PSA D-02
Typical Data
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.859
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40°C 100
at 100°C 14.7
Viscosity Index 152
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -30°C 5,576
Zinc, Mass % 0.122
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.110
Sulphated Ash, mass % 1.34
Base Number 10.7

Hey Virginoil,
just a thought, could it be your EGR that's sending oil vapour thru to your exhaust?
I'm guessing that the bit of oil vapour may be doing this.
I am planning to run this oil in my 2013 D-max instead of Delo 400 as it's easier and cheaper to get.
Aussie too...which I'm keen on.
Interested in seeing what you find out.
As for the oil, it also has moly and calcium in the mix for those oil afficianados, same levels as the HPR diesel 10W-40....I emailed Penrite for info
smile.gif

cheers
Dan

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
Its not the egr, it flows the other way and isnt carrying any oil.

Probably will if the engine has any oil flowby when cold. It all ends up in the same place.
The ol' Buick V6 has some pretty large tolerances for a 5W oil and have been out of production for
around 12 years, so km's will be up.
Best try the HPR 10 Diesel 10W-40 version to be sure, or even the HPR 15 Diesel 15W-50.

cheers
Dan

Originally Posted By: DannyJim

Probably will if the engine has any oil flowby when cold. It all ends up in the same place.
The ol' Buick V6 has some pretty large tolerances for a 5W oil and have been out of production for
Best try the HPR 10 Diesel 10W-40 version to be sure, or even the HPR 15 Diesel 15W-50.

cheers
Dan

I had my mechanic drains the Diesel 5 after 5000 kms and put in the Penrite 5w-40 Everyday Plus brand.

My mechanic reckons the Commodore runs smoother after the Diesel 5.

I am currently running it on the Caltex 98 Ron fuel, I will switch to BP Ultimate 98 Ron in about 4 weeks to check if there is any change with the BP compared to Caltex.

Originally Posted By: DannyJim

cheers
Dan

I had my mechanic drains the Diesel 5 after 5000 kms and put in the Penrite 5w-40 Everyday Plus brand.

My mechanic reckons the Commodore runs smoother after the Diesel 5.

I am currently running it on the Caltex 98 Ron fuel, I will switch to BP Ultimate 98 Ron in about 4 weeks to check if there is any change with the BP compared to Caltex.

Hey Virginoil,
I bet the ol girl had a good clean out with all the detergents in the diesel oil!
Smoother running would be all the wear additives starting to do their thing I guess.
The everyday+ 5W-40 should suit, but if you find you burn oil try the thicker grades....10W-40 or 15W-40 (penrite recomendation for V6) as they both have good specs and will help reduce your oil consumption. I have found with the Holden's I have owned that no more than 10K OCI's are best and an oil not too thin at startup, yes it helps wear but you do burn a bit doing it! I'm assuming you have more that 200K on the clock, so frequent oil changes will be nice for the donk...spoil her
blush.gif

cheers, and keep us informed......

Dan

Dan

The engine is a rebuilt 2004 VY V6 block Series 2.It had 140000 kms on it. Rebuilt 13000 kms ago with the new Hastings rings it burns very little.

The engine does feel pretty smooth.

3 more weeks I will switch back BP Ultimate.

Last edited:
Dan

The engine is a rebuilt 2004 VY V6 block Series 2.It had 140000 kms on it. Rebuilt 13000 kms ago with the new Hastings rings it burns very little.

The engine does feel pretty smooth.

3 more weeks I will switch back BP Ultimate.

Hi Virginoil,
rebuild sounds good. Shouldn't use a touch now...the 300 ml you mentioned was probably just due to running in. The everyday oil should be ok for all your driving needs.
the series 2 ecotech donk was a pretty good one, good torque and not bad on the juice.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back