Penrite 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Any in OZ using this oil. Just found on the Penrite site and it is a low SAPS oil.

Website states
Synthetic performance. “Low SAPs” engine oil for use in the latest generation of high performance engines including in Euro IV type low emissions passenger car diesels fitted with DPFs (diesel particulate filters). Ideal where this viscosity or SAE 0W-20/30 oils are recommended. Particularly suited for engines with variable valve timing as well as where ILSAC GF-4 and ACEA A1/A5/C2/C1 fuel economy oils are called for and in petrol-electric hybrid engines. Vehicles needing ACEA C1 or JASO DL-1 should use Enviro + 5W-40.

MSDS states it is a severely treated paraffinic oil. Must be Group 3 I guess, CAS 64472-54-6 makes upto 30-60%.

Spec's claimed it meets (doesn't say it has them)
API SM
Saab
Renault
Chrysler MS-6395G
Porsche
ACEA A3/B/C3
Mercedes 229.51
VW 504.00, 507.00, 505.01
Volvo
Ford M2c-917
BMW LL-04

Properites
Density 0.858
Vis. 100 deg C cSt 98.0
Vis 40 deg C cSt 15.3
HTHS 3.8
Zinc 0.084%
Sulp. Ash 0.77%
Base 7.8
Pour or Flash points not stated

Any one using it ?

Seems a little thick to be used as GF-4.

I am tossing up whether to use this oil or the new

1. Helix Ultra 5w-40 (same as PP 5w-40 in states)
2. Mobil X2 3000 5w-40 just released (Group 3 competitor to Helix Ultra)

Last edited:
Hi virginoil,

The printed vis for 100C and 40C seem to be the wrong way around.

Even with 98cSt at 40C, it looks more like a 10W40 than 0W40. I think most 0W40 in the market have around 75cSt at 40C.

Then that's a long list of manufacturers' approvals they "claim". Is there any standard or approval they actually meet or exceed?

Last edited:
I have used Penrite oils for many years and I am currently using their HPR 5 5W-40 Semi-Synth in one of my vehicles.

I have always found them to be excellent quality lubricants.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it as long as it is the correct viscosity and meets the relevant standards required for your vehicle.

There are many lubricant manufacturers (such as AMSoil) that haven't sought approval from Vehicle Manufacturers however that doesn't mean they don't meet the standards.

I have had some VERY bad experiences dealing with Penrite tech people face-to-face. They are more interested in getting a quick sale than having a long term client. The only company whose products I would not use in our three vehicles.

2001 BMW 325 CI
2000 Subaru Outback
1989 Mazda 626 turbo hatchback

Just checked the Mobil website. Even Mobil Super 2000 X 2 10W40 has a lower viscosity at both 40C and 100C then the HPR 0 0W40. It just does not sound right for me.

With Mobil1 0W40, Castrol Edge Sport 0W40, Motul X-cess 5W40 all readily available and Porsche approved oil lists as of Dec 07. Why risk it with Penrite?

I believe X-cess is the cheapest of the above mentioned and a lot of people from various forum had given good feedbacks to this oil.

Penrite use Korean sourced GroupIII base oils in their 'synthetic performance' oils, as well as PAO's and esters in their SIN range.

I haven't considered their oils at all in the last fifteen years, but my disinterest has been turned around after being told of very good UOA's by someone I trust who has no vested interest and is well respected on the board.

Apparently they are using very, very robust additive packages, but I suspect they may be doing an Amsoil a little bit and claiming "meets XYZ specs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back