Pennzoil Ultra VERY black after 1,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
Why would you buy a salvage car-how would you ever resell it with 'salvage' on he title?

Steve

It can be inspected by the state and given an un-salvage title.

Ive done this before, and ive had a few cars that needed new titles assigned via abandoned/repossession, lien, "application for title" new title issued. oh yea.

i hope to never have to do that again. its a long prcess and you DONT have title for your car in the meantime.

as to oil, yea sludge will darken it. Pennziol seems to be the top cleaner oil, right up there with RP and RL and if in a dirty engine it will get dark QUICKLY and in a real dirty engine it will KEEP gettign dark, its doin its thing

if you have ever pulled a VC and know how "slowly" oil works youd see why it could take 20000 or more to removie ti at a slow steady rate.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I would do a UOA and go from there. To me it seems odd that the top end looks great and still the oil looks jet black. As they say you can't judge an oil by its color.

He changed the head. Easy. Block? not so much.

Usually with overheats the head will warp, so new "spotless" head. But in the block..
shocked.gif

or car sat underwater, or .. who knows. (Is this a "Katrina car" by any chance? would have been brandy new 4 years ago.)

thumbsup2.gif

good advice here.

Originally Posted By: tig1
After 10-11K OCI the oil in my 07 Focus and Fusion only gets the dark amber colar.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
My duratec doesn't dirty the oil quickly. And anyway, oil color doesn't matter. Unless it looks like it has milk mixed in. Then it's a problem.

+1

I am currently running M1 5w20EP....in my 2.3L Duratec.

I have about 7000 miles on the oil and it is golden amber off the dip stick....and it runs like a top.

I don't know where you got the idea that Duratec engines turn oil dark. Whats happening is the oil is doing its job and cleaning up that engine.

As others have suggsted....use PYB and change the filter out every 2500K....until the oil clears up.

After its clean...you can go back to a synthetic (PP, PU whatever).

It is not a Katrina car, it is from New York (had an options package only offered out East). And i bought the car salvaged because A) a TON of car for the money, and B) i plan on driving the wheels off of it. the gas mileage is awesome, the features are loaded, i love this car... but when it comes time to sell it at around 200k miles plus, having a salvaged title will barely make a difference in sell price, because, by then, it'll barely be worth anything anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
It is not a Katrina car, it is from New York (had an options package only offered out East). And i bought the car salvaged because A) a TON of car for the money, and B) i plan on driving the wheels off of it. the gas mileage is awesome, the features are loaded, i love this car... but when it comes time to sell it at around 200k miles plus, having a salvaged title will barely make a difference in sell price, because, by then, it'll barely be worth anything anyhow.

I agree with you..

BUT to get to 200K miles, do the PYB for 2-3 OCI's for 3K miles then go the syn route. May want to try a pint of MMO the last 1K of those PYB OCI's...

Good cars and I hope you get it cleaned up...

i have used mostly syn on 07 focus at 6k oci and my oil is always fairly clean...the engine looks brand new under oil cap after 72,000 miles..i have used napa syn, M1, PP, supertech, QS and pzl

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
looks like you're using the sludge fighting properties that PU has been advertising!

Agreed...

possibly it has been run a bit over the limit of the previous oil and the PU has already cleaned up the sludge deposits(these would not necessary be visible through the oil fill)... I'd run it till about 3K mi, change it again and start your planned OCI...

Why would you buy a salvage car-how would you ever resell it with 'salvage' on he title?

Steve

If the price was right who cares? I've generally run my stuff till it's lucky to be worth $1000 anyway...

My Marauder has a rebuilt title because a tree had fallen on it in '08... I bought it with the supercharger and a few other up grades(all made early in '10, approx $7000 total) for less than a unmodified one would cost with mileage of over 100K, mine has 43K mi...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Personally I'd be doing 2-3k OCIs with something like Pennzoil yellow bottle and filter changes every time.

Hopefully it has only 20k on it. With savage titles everything goes out the window in most states.

Keep us informed!

Bill

I would lean to the Rotella 10w30 because it is dirt cheap and do the 2,500 mile OCI's....for a couple of fills. That Rotella Semi-Synth has high cleaning additives that should
"sparkle her right up"..... then go back to your oil of choice.

i've been thinking about this today, so: i'm going to run this current fill of PU for 3,500 miles. i bought some PYB and another motorcraft filter, and i'll run that 3,000 miles. why, you may ask? because, then i'll be right at 27,500 miles, so my 7,500 mile OCI's will be nice and easy to keep track of. I'm OCD like that
grin.gif

Maybe he plans to keep it long enough that resale isn't an issue.

I know that Duratec engines (like my mom's 2.3 in her Mazda) dirty the oil up pretty quickly too.
Maybe it's an I4 thing. I maintain my niece's Fusion with Duratec 3.0L V6 and have never seen dirty oil. One time she went a whole year and 12,000 miles and the oil was surprisingly clean. I accused her of having someone else change the oil in the middle and she swore no one touched the car that whole time. There's no baffle under the 710 fill, so you can see part of the head and the timing chain and both were spotless. Car has always gotten MC 5W-20 and an MC filter.

i've been thinking about this today, so: i'm going to run this current fill of PU for 3,500 miles. i bought some PYB and another motorcraft filter, and i'll run that 3,000 miles. why, you may ask? because, then i'll be right at 27,500 miles, so my 7,500 mile OCI's will be nice and easy to keep track of. I'm OCD like that
grin.gif

Sounds like a good plan. Can also try a pint(16oz) of MMO the last 500-1000 miles of current Ultra OCI... Then go with the 3K PYB OCI...

Are there any mechanical issues he should consider that would cause the oil to turn black? PCV system? Something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back