Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Dilemma

For the Hyundai, either the 5W or 10 W should work just fine. For your 3800 engine, I would go with a 10W-30 weight even if you went to platinum versus ultra platinum. The 3800 series engine is very forgiving when it comes to “most “motor oils. However, in my own personal, anecdotal experience, some 5W-30 weight oils (Valvoline and Napa synthetics) allowed a rattling sound to come from my 3800 engine, But 10W30 weight oils do not. I think this engine prefers higher viscosity lubricants. However,, there may be some brands where a higher HTHS might allow a 5W-30 to run happily in a 3800. Castrol perhaps? YMMV
In that case he may as well pick up Euro L at Walmart with an HT/HS of 3.5. Either that or Quaker State Euro 5W-40.

May want to consider the P.U.P. 10w-30 for warmer months ( April - October ) and the P.U.P. 5w-30 for colder months .

I never understand people saying they can’t get ultra platinum. Walmart will deliver it ‘to your door’ in 2 days with free shipping. I’ve been buying it this way for years.

View attachment 220565
I get it delivered to my house from Amazon, but I totally get why people say they can’t get it…it’s because when you’re in the store and you’re shopping, it would be nice to be able to go down the aisle and just grab it off the shelf and be done with it. You’re there anyway. Now you have to go home, go on your computer, remember your password, enter your information, and wait for the stuff to arrive. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s another step - in a world where most of us are already taking a lot of steps in a typical day. IMO.

Well, in my experience, Walmart shipping has been horrible. I ordered 12 quarts of PUP from them and the oil was damaged enroute and returned to them. They never even contacted me about it...I had to contact them. They refunded me, but it left me very dissatisfied, so I just went and bought it from Advance Auto and got the rebate. I would still be using it, but I started getting nervous because the Ford spec isn't listed on the website or the bottle. For warranty purposes, I went back to Valvoline which was fantastic in my 5.0 Coyote, and has been running smooth in the 3.5 EcoBoost as well.

Back