Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically 5w30

I have been on and reading for the last few days on 5w20's and 5w30's. However, I have not found much on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Everything seems to read M1....

Does anyone have or anyone know of the location on - VOA or UOA for the Ultra Platinum 5w30?? I would like a to compare and see how it breaks down.

Lots of info on Pennz yellow.... any particular reason why through my searches I'm not coming up with a whole lot...??

Mainly because PUP is hard to find. You can't do any VOA or UOA on something you can't obtain in the first place.

I have to obtain oil via Online or pay local prices + exchange rate so I keep my shopping to Amazon.

They have it and ships free, and fast...

Thank you for the reply. I was unaware that it wasn't a common in-store oil. Any rhyme or reason that would stray it into not being a good oil or an oil worth its cost/different oil with same/better readings?

I went to Walmart today and noticed below in the photo. I was going to ask BITOG what the difference between the 2 5w30s. The PUP seems pretty available in my area, but I am leaning towards Mobil-1 for my new Tacoma, based on availability.

I went to Walmart today and noticed below in the photo. I was going to ask BITOG what the difference between the 2 5w30s. The PUP seems pretty available in my area, but I am leaning towards Mobil-1 for my new Tacoma, based on availability.

Both flavors of Pennzoil were $25.17.

[IMG]http://s6.postimg.org/8f15niqu9/image.jpg

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

Both flavors of Pennzoil were $25.17.

[IMG]http://s6.postimg.org/8f15niqu9/image.jpg

Boy did I mess up today, I didn't go to Walmart as I didn't expect it to be stocked so I went to pep boys, $37.99 a jug and $9.79 a quart. Oh well live and learn. This was for Ultra.
33.gif

One Walmart near me supposedly is stocking PUP but I haven't actually seen it yet. Even if they have it I'd be hesitant to start using it as it'll likely disappear again.

OP the Pennzoil Platinum is very popular here and much more widely available you may look into that for more available feedback.

You can go to the walmart site and search for it, put in your zip and it will tell you the closest store with it. In my case it was a store 25 miles south of me. Road trip!
What is going on is the 'high volume' store won't stock it because they need more inventory of the higher sellers. So you are looking for the lower volume stores.

I'm sure the 5w40 Euro stuff is great, but other than that, I see no need to buy that over PP.. especially with it being hard to find for most folks. I doubt the average naturally aspirated economy car with a 7.5-10k OCI would notice the difference. I feel the same way about M1 vs. M1 EP too. My .02.

I stopped in a Denver area WM this weekend and lo and behold there was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on the shelf in 5W-20 and 5W-30 flavors. It was right at $28.00 per jug. This is the first time I have seen it on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Try the manufacturer.

SOPUS TDS/MSDS

Platinum Ultra

The Shell website only has the PDS for the "old" Ultra formula, not the new "Ultra Platinum". There was an Ultra Platinum PDS but it was taken down after an uproar here about the doubling of Noack volatility from the old version. This may have been a coincidence but if you want details on the new formula it seems to be available nowhere.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Boy did I mess up today, I didn't go to Walmart as I didn't expect it to be stocked so I went to pep boys, $37.99 a jug and $9.79 a quart. Oh well live and learn. This was for Ultra.
33.gif

You didn't mess up. Seeing Pennzoil Ultra 10W-30 at Walmart is extremely rare. About as rare as seeing a Cornwell truck on the road.

I got some Pennzoil Platinum 'Natural Gas" PurePlus Technology. Only $10 for a 5 qt jug at Autozone.

Is this ok stuff?

Originally Posted By: datech
I got some Pennzoil Platinum 'Natural Gas" PurePlus Technology. Only $10 for a 5 qt jug at Autozone.

Is this ok stuff?

Yes Nice deal as well.

Last edited:
It is all over Denver. It has been out since summer easy, I noticed it quite often while searching all local stores for the old PU during the fuel rewards craze.

Our local Walmart has the Platinum, but not the Ultra Platinum 5 quart jugs. I can't figure out why in L.A. Walmart wouldn't carry the Ultra Platinum.

I don't run anything but Pennzoil Ultra. I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta I just switched over to Ultra and my 2013 Lancer I have been running Ultra in for about 15k miles. Every car I have ever owned I have ended up using ultra because it works the best for me. Pennzoil Ultra is also ACEA A1/B1 certified which Mobil is not.

ACEA A1/B1 - Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Originally Posted By: RGR
It is all over Denver. It has been out since summer easy, I noticed it quite often while searching all local stores for the old PU during the fuel rewards craze.

No where to be found in my area of Houston despite SOPUS having a large presence here
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back