Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a huge stash of Pennzoil Ultra at Autozone for $1 per quart, and I used it religiously for over 50,000 miles.

It did nothing to clean any varnish, and my car burned through that oil like no other.

Wasn't impressed.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
I purchased a huge stash of Pennzoil Ultra at Autozone for $1 per quart, and I used it religiously for over 50,000 miles.

It did nothing to clean any varnish, and my car burned through that oil like no other.

Wasn't impressed.

Was this the pre PP version?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83
Hear it's not Dexos Gen 2 approved?

I think your hearing is off

Pennzoil Dexos.jpg

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Talking about the Pennz Ultra, i run Pennz Platinum already
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah unfortunately, Ultra is not D1G2 or SN+ approved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rsalan

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah unfortunately, Ultra is not D1G2 or SN+ approved.

Has there been a recent VOA done on PUP? I heard one reason why it wasn't D1G2 approved was Shell refused to pay GM the money to put the qualification on the label?
Just curious how it compares, or lacks in additives that D1G2 oils have?

Originally Posted by irv
Has there been a recent VOA done on PUP? I heard one reason why it wasn't D1G2 approved was Shell refused to pay GM the money to put the qualification on the label?

I don't see why they wouldn't. It's chump change to them. But, it is the reason that I'm gonna switch to regular PP for my next change.

I don't see why they wouldn't. It's chump change to them. But, it is the reason that I'm gonna switch to regular PP for my next change.

I think that's a backwards step and I certainly wouldn't switch just for that reason. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is still their best oil, but in typical Pennzoil fashion they like to confuse their customers as to which of their two top oils is actually the better one.

Originally Posted by irv

I heard it was around .6 cents per bottle/jug to have the qual put on the label?

In this corporate/political world, anything can take place but maybe Shell/Pennzoil thinks .6 cents is too expensive, which it could be when you add up all the bottles/jugs they likely sell.
I also heard that the Ultra would pass that qual already and would have even before the D1G2 qual came out so they said screw you GM, our oil is already good enough, and has been, so why should we have to pay you?
21.gif

Who knows for sure, but I'd hazard to guess, because GM is pro Mobil now, that something like that is going on.

I would still like to see a comparison if PUP does in fact lack something compared to a D1G2 oil, and if so, how significant is it exactly?

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by irv

I heard it was around .6 cents per bottle/jug to have the qual put on the label?

In this corporate/political world, anything can take place but maybe Shell/Pennzoil thinks .6 cents is too expensive, which it could be when you add up all the bottles/jugs they likely sell.
I also heard that the Ultra would pass that qual already and would have even before the D1G2 qual came out so they said screw you GM, our oil is already good enough, and has been, so why should we have to pay you?
21.gif

Who knows for sure, but I'd hazard to guess, because GM is pro Mobil now, that something like that is going on.

I would still like to see a comparison if PUP does in fact lack something compared to a D1G2 oil, and if so, how significant is it exactly?

If Shell is willing to pay the licensing fee period (which they are) then it doesn't make any sense for them to not apply that to the entire product portfolio, and there's no financial incentive to defer it if they were paying for the previous generation license already. It isn't like the cost goes up, it's an evolving spec.

As for GM being pro-Mobil, that factory relationship has been in place for 30+ years, so they aren't "pro Mobil now", that has simply always been the case. No different than the FIAT/SOPUS relationship.

Originally Posted by Patman

I think that's a backwards step and I certainly wouldn't switch just for that reason. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is still their best oil, but in typical Pennzoil fashion they like to confuse their customers as to which of their two top oils is actually the better one.

You think so? The thing is, it's not just the D1G2 spec that's missing but the SN+ too.. I think I'd sleep better knowing I have an oil that officially meets both.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by irv

21.gif

If Shell is willing to pay the licensing fee period (which they are) then it doesn't make any sense for them to not apply that to the entire product portfolio, and there's no financial incentive to defer it if they were paying for the previous generation license already. It isn't like the cost goes up, it's an evolving spec.

As for GM being pro-Mobil, that factory relationship has been in place for 30+ years, so they aren't "pro Mobil now", that has simply always been the case. No different than the FIAT/SOPUS relationship.

I suspect the issue might be still high levels of calcium.
There is all the talk of cleansing re PUP.

PUP appears to be a hair thicker than PP.
ASTM D445 8.8 vs 8.6.
VI 164 vs 167.
@ 5W20.

I used Pennzoil Gold when FF was changed out.
PG has been D1G2/SN+ since early in the game.

Now, I am going to change out PP 0W20 for PUP 5W20,
as I move into the High Mileage realm.
10k mile OCI maintenance schedule will remain.

I am a prime candidate for this.
--75k miles per year.
--decade old engine design.
--FI-VVT..no DI.
--mild winter weather.
--freezing temperatures maybe 5 days a year...never lower.

JMO. If I had GDI, I would stick with PP, probably slightly thicker, and short OCIs.

Originally Posted by Patman

You think so? The thing is, it's not just the D1G2 spec that's missing but the SN+ too.. I think I'd sleep better knowing I have an oil that officially meets both.

True, I had not considered the warranty implications.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by irv

21.gif

I didn't realize the relationship had been going on for that long? I always thought GM pushed AC Delco products, including their oil?

The first I heard about the Mobil relationship with GM was when it came in the Corvettes directly from the factory. Don't tell me that was 30 years ago already?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
M1 started becoming factory fill in the Corvettes in 1992 with the introduction of the LT1 engine of that era, so it's not quite 30 years, but close.

Originally Posted by irv

I didn't realize the relationship had been going on for that long? I always thought GM pushed AC Delco products, including their oil?

The first I heard about the Mobil relationship with GM was when it came in the Corvettes directly from the factory. Don't tell me that 30 years ago already?
crazy2.gif

Corvette recommendation has been since 1993, so almost 26 years at this point.

"We've been working with GM for a long time, and we look forward to continued growth with this important alliance," said Ken MacGibbon, sales director strategic global alliances for ExxonMobil Lubricants & Petroleum Specialties Company. "ExxonMobil has been the supplier for the U.S. GM dealer network since 1990, and during the last 20 years, the GM service fill program has become one of the best original engine manufacturer lubricants programs in the industry. With strong efforts between both companies, we have grown sales, including Mobil 1, every year within the GM dealership network."

So the dealer network supplier for 29 years
wink.gif
Yeah, I'd say the relationship is at least 30 years old at this point.

Originally Posted by irv

The first I heard about the Mobil relationship with GM was when it came in the Corvettes directly from the factory. Don't tell me that 30 years ago already?
crazy2.gif

Corvette recommendation has been since 1993, so almost 26 years at this point.

"We've been working with GM for a long time, and we look forward to continued growth with this important alliance," said Ken MacGibbon, sales director strategic global alliances for ExxonMobil Lubricants & Petroleum Specialties Company. "ExxonMobil has been the supplier for the U.S. GM dealer network since 1990, and during the last 20 years, the GM service fill program has become one of the best original engine manufacturer lubricants programs in the industry. With strong efforts between both companies, we have grown sales, including Mobil 1, every year within the GM dealership network."

So the dealer network supplier for 29 years
wink.gif
Yeah, I'd say the relationship is at least 30 years old at this point.

Wow! Time flies.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back