Pennzoil Ultra- API SM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Astro14
sigh...go out right now and buy a jug of Pennzoil Platinum. Keep the receipt. Put the jug on the shelf.

Or make a copy of the receipt and then return the PP jug right back.

^THIS!

...no reason to change out the oil. It won't have engine failure on Ultra and it's PROBABLY a better oil than Platinum anyway. Forget the dexos1 spec, you aren't going to use Ultra year round, what is done is done. Get the value of their best PCMO out of it while it's already being used, if warranty was going to be an issue you blew it right when your poured it in. I mean, come on lets be real here. If you think warranty is an issue, ya just blew it.

...not.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Warranty.
frown.gif

The receipt doesn't say if its SM or SN.... I'd just run it as the SN is dexos approved if I remember right from the pds that was posted. Dexos is not actually required but recommended/preferred as it says you can use an equivalent oil if dexos is not available.

Last edited:
sigh...go out right now and buy a jug of Pennzoil Platinum. Keep the receipt. Put the jug on the shelf.

Being knowingly deceitful is not going to get you good karma.

I'd run it. Change it early if you will sleep better at night. It's 1 oil change. And, it's Ultra. It's not City Star 5w-30...

And, how's the 10mm drain bolt holding up for you? That thing worries me. I haven't touched it yet (yay MityVac 7201 for sucking out the used oil!) since I don't want it to strip out.

Last edited:
Well, Nick, I looked at my 6 gallon PU stash I got from Wally World for $23.99 each a few weeks ago and they all were Mfg'd on 02Nov2011 and they're labeled "SN".

So, the labeling/possible formulation change was in between our dates.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

Being knowingly deceitful is not going to get you good karma.

Do you seriously believe that the oil he put in there is not as good and should be grounds for warranty denial?

Do you seriously believe that the oil he put in there is not as good and should be grounds for warranty denial?

That is not what I said. I said that telling him to lie about what oil he put in his car is wrong.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

That is not what I said. I said that telling him to lie about what oil he put in his car is wrong.

He'd be telling the truth by saying he put in oils that met the needs of the engine. It's sorta a funny point, without having to 'lie'. Did he 'ever' put PP in the engine? Heck, what does one run of PU now mean in 3 years b4 the warranty expires and an issue arises?

Absolutely nothing.

Dramatics much? Chill.

Yep from what I recall, Pennzoil was one of the "earlier adapters" they were marking their bottles as "Meets latest SN" or some sort of context, before SN was even FINALIZED and "public" mandated, etc...

BUT, as mentioned, if this is a newer car, "under warranty" - I'd drain it, and put the correct grade in it.....but from what I've heard, some of the newer '11 and '12 cars, are actually still specing SM....so just check your manual.....

Originally Posted By: Nick R
20120207_135623.jpg

20120207_135641.jpg

Notice Nick in the top picture that it states "already exceeds 2010 GF-5 engine protection requirements". To me, that means it is on par with SN even if it says SM on the jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back