Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 10k miles 2007 Denali 1500 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No towing at all.

I just drove it into work 32 miles. 20 of those miles on the interstate.

Oil pressure best I can tell by the [censored] gauge, moved up to 45 or so after start. Then just below 40psi for the drive at 80mph on the interstate.

Will pickup a magnetic plug.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That engine is toast.
Not really. The wear metals seem high but the only one that's out of line for this particular engine is Fe. Lead is still OK (if the universal averages aren't all failing engines :p) so there's not serious damage being done yet.

Are you still seeing casting material/chunks in the bottom of your oil drain pan? I noticed this on my daughter's 2008 Avalanche 5.3L up until 52K miles. I don't know what the service history was prior to my attention, but probably quick lube places that didn't allow for good drains.

If I ever bought a new GM truck, I would change the oil early and often until I no longer see junk coming out of the engine.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Are you still seeing casting material/chunks in the bottom of your oil drain pan? I noticed this on my daughter's 2008 Avalanche 5.3L up until 52K miles. I don't know what the service history was prior to my attention, but probably quick lube places that didn't allow for good drains.

If I ever bought a new GM truck, I would change the oil early and often until I no longer see junk coming out of the engine.

The oil drain pan is a closed top. I always drain with the truck level with the oil warm.

I have about 800 miles since the last OC, I'm thinking of draining it today. Was just going to run some dino oil for the next short OCI. How long should I go before I drain and sample?

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Get an open drain pan and look for castings on the bottom. Have you cut open a filter yet?

I have an open pan that I can use, I will drain today and cut the filter open.

Thank you!

The casting material chunks, if you find some, will look grayish silver and crumble when you roll it between your fingers.

What was the factory warranty on these in 2007? I remember a time when GM had advertized a 100K powertrain warranty but not having a GM product since my 1970 Nova my dates are pretty shakey.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

I do recall that this was argueably the top GM V8 (with the exception of Vette's and a Caddy XLR-V, maybe?) at the time.

Shorter OCI's would be in order IMHO. I don't think oil causes wear, but longer OCI's may?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back