Pennzoil "Synthetic" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by mracer:
rbraughn, I don't think you should be so worried about Ford screwing you over for several reasons. Remember, this is not a Toyota or Dodge sludge maker engine you've got.

1. If you run ANY decent oil and filter and change it every 3000-5000 miles, you WILL NOT have an engine failure during the warranty period caused by the oil with Ford's 5.4L or 4.6L V-8's . END of Story.

Ummmmmm . . . I don't think this story ends so cleanly. I'm assuming that since rbraughn said he driving a "supercrew" truck with a warranty, it's probably relatively new and not a 4.6L. If it is a 4.6, then he needs to figure out whether or not his engine has Ford's infamous self-destructing valve stem seals. Unlike Toyota's "sludge maker", which only makes sludge if you don't take proper care of it, Ford engines with the bad stem seals are pretty much doomed, regardless of how much care is lavished upon them. Now that said, I'm really not trying to start a Toyota vs. Ford slugfest
wink.gif
, but this does further illustrate why owners need to be careful not to give the mfr's a reason to try a warranty denial. Yes, Ford would have to prove that the improper oil caused the problem, and the owner would probably win if he fought, but who wants to be tied up in this sort of battle for 1-2 years?

Doomed? I can see how bad valve stem seals lead to a high rate of oil consumption, but I as long as you don't let the crankcase run dry I don't see how leaky valve stem seals make the pre-96 4.6s doomed.

Look, you can say whatever the heck you want about Ford but I know of only one way to blow up a Ford modular V-8 (other than running without oil).

Here is how you do it:

1. Buy Ford Lightning (5.4L with SuperCharger)

2. change blower and/or crankshaft pulleys

3. run a chip that leans out the air/fuel ratio

4. run a 100-200hp shot of Nitrous

5. run 18-25lbs of supercharger boost (8 is stock)

6. make hundreds of 1/4 mile dragstrip runs

7. make thousands of shorter "street" runs

Somewhere between 10,000-20,000 miles of this abuse, the rods will vacate the block.

quote:

Originally posted by Bdiddy:
I can see how bad valve stem seals lead to a high rate of oil consumption, but I as long as you don't let the crankcase run dry I don't see how leaky valve stem seals make the pre-96 4.6s doomed.

We can, I hope agree that the stem seals didn't come from the factory leaking; latently defective perhaps, but not yet leaking. Thus, they obviously break down to the point where they cause the car in which they are installed to leave a smoke trail behind it. I don't see how this breakdown process can proceed to some point and then just stops by itself. My "doomed" characterization is based upon the assumption (yes, I said assumption) that this process will continue to some point of unserviceability (loss of compression, oil fouling of plugs, or what-have-you).

But listen, I'm not offering my opinion as gospel. If there's evidence that this process has a happy ending, please someone bring it on. I'm just wondering how all those smoky Crown Vic taxis can soldier on indefinitely. . .

But listen, I'm not offering my opinion as gospel. If there's evidence that this process has a happy ending, please someone bring it on. I'm just wondering how all those smoky Crown Vic taxis can soldier on indefinitely. . .

I think that the seals degrade to a certain point, not completely disitegrate. So yeah, they burn alot of oil and smoke, but these cars have been in taxi service for around 10 years now, so it's apparently not a fatal flaw, many other things will probably give out before the engine gives up the ghost.

quote:

Originally posted by mracer:
rbraughn, I don't think you should be so worried about Ford screwing you over for several reasons. Remember, this is not a Toyota or Dodge sludge maker engine you've got.

1. If you run ANY decent oil and filter and change it every 3000-5000 miles, you WILL NOT have an engine failure during the warranty period caused by the oil with Ford's 5.4L or 4.6L V-8's . END of Story.

Ummmmmm . . . I don't think this story ends so cleanly. I'm assuming that since rbraughn said he driving a "supercrew" truck with a warranty, it's probably relatively new and not a 4.6L. If it is a 4.6, then he needs to figure out whether or not his engine has Ford's infamous self-destructing valve stem seals. Unlike Toyota's "sludge maker", which only makes sludge if you don't take proper care of it, Ford engines with the bad stem seals are pretty much doomed, regardless of how much care is lavished upon them. Now that said, I'm really not trying to start a Toyota vs. Ford slugfest
wink.gif
, but this does further illustrate why owners need to be careful not to give the mfr's a reason to try a warranty denial. Yes, Ford would have to prove that the improper oil caused the problem, and the owner would probably win if he fought, but who wants to be tied up in this sort of battle for 1-2 years?

Sorry, Been way for a few days....

EKPOLK,
It is a 3rd Gen 2001 SCREW 4.6l 30,000 miles still on factory warranty(also have a Ford ESP 6yr 75,000 warranty) and run a Superchips tuner (supposedly leaves no trace when uninstalled), Magnaflow exhaust(si/so), tow a 17' Boston Whaler (fairly light) and Run it fairly hard now and then.

I also have mostly short (6 miles to work) trips in the Texas Heat.

I wouldn't normally worry about oil/warranty issues, except I have mild, cold start, Piston Slap, and even though everyone says its no big deal, It makes me a little paranoid at times
shocked.gif
and if I ever have an issue, I want to be in compliance oil wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back