Pennzoil synthetic for Kia Optima Hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove the Ford Fusion hybrid. Great car, probably my first choice. My wife prefered the Kia. I got a much better warranty and numerous more extras for less money with the Kia. When we purchased two I couldn't pass up the deal they offered.

Originally Posted By: antignolo
I test drove the Ford Fusion hybrid. Great car, probably my first choice. My wife prefered the Kia. I got a much better warranty and numerous more extras for less money with the Kia. When we purchased two I couldn't pass up the deal they offered.

I am glad for your purchase. However, I own a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I can't imagine another midsized hybrid car being better. No issues up to the present 80,000 miles. Fuel mileage has been between 41 - 53 mpg (depending on how you drive it). Next time, go with your first choice and let your wife have her choice.

While I'm at it, I highly recommend Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic. (or Kendall Full Synthetic from a local Conoco-Phillips distributor if you can't find the Motorcraft). I netted my best summertime fuel mileage using it (over 50 mpg). I also used Toyota 0W20 and have Havoline 0W20 in it now. Fuel mileage has not topped what I got using Motorcraft. Go figure.

It's too soon to dump the factory fill oil, but between 1500 and 3000 miles would be good. Then at the factory recommended 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Its a KIA. Don't change oil. Buy a American made car.

Good grief.
[ Good grief is right.
The Koreans dispise us. Employees in the LaGrange Georgia plant tell how bad the Koreans treat the employees. Cars are junk on top of that.

Good grief.
[ Good grief is right.
The Koreans dispise us. Employees in the LaGrange Georgia plant tell how bad the Koreans treat the employees. Cars are junk on top of that.

Your posts in this thread (which seems totally off topic BTW) and your signature suggests that you might be a prejudiced xenophobic individual who will only buy cars from American car companies. However, I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask whether you would consider purchasing a car from a Japanese car company or maybe a car from an American car company that was made in either Canada or Mexico? Just curious.

On the oil topic, I would not change the oil until it was time. It seems like a total waste to change it out so soon.

Originally Posted By: termigator

Good grief.
[ Good grief is right.

Your posts in this thread (which seems totally off topic BTW) and your signature suggests that you might be a prejudiced xenophobic individual who will only buy cars from American car companies. However, I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask whether you would consider purchasing a car from a Japanese car company or maybe a car from an American car company that was made in either Canada or Mexico? Just curious.

On the oil topic, I would not change the oil until it was time. It seems like a total waste to change it out so soon.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. The last time I checked, this was still the US--maybe I better check again..........

I would do this:
Drain the factory fill at 3750 miles. Fill with a conventional oil.
Drain conventional oil at 5000 miles Fill with synthetic oil.
Then just do every 7500 miles on the synthetic oil.

"Walmart" Oils of choice would be Castrol GTX 5w-20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20

Last edited:
Okay someone just got time off for bashing another members CHOICE of what vehicle he bought.

Lets get back on topic and help the OP out.

Bill

2011 Kia Sportage that I changed to synthetic at 2,500 miles. Now at 55,000 miles on various synthtics, runs well and does not use a drop of oil at 7,500 mile oil change intervals.

Incidently, this Kia is the most reliable car that I have ever owned.

Kia and Hyundai have come a long way. Both are nice cars and give a lot of bang for the buck IMO. I have a 2010 Kia Forte EX that I'm selling to a friend and it's amazing how solid and well made it appears to be. Koreans, in general, love the USA.

no political/racist opinions here, but here's a fact - i just read today that less than half of koreans polled believe the US would retaliate against NK if they were nuked by them

even tho we have 35,000 DoD personnel there

more than half polled believe we would not attack NK or protect them with a nuclear umbrella. They don't realize that just 1 of our subs could turn both countries into an uninhabitable moonscape for the next 100 - 1,000 years

I've got 25k on my 2011 Kia Optima 2.0T. Some minor issues between 11K and 16K that the dealer took care of appropriately, and running great now. I'm very satisfied with it, spent $10-20K less than other cars I was considering, and have a 10 yr/100K warranty. My dealer (notably not where I purchased) has been great the few times I've needed them.

The hybrid version has had some teething problems, however.

To the OP: I would change the FF sooner (maybe 3.5K miles), then stick to the recommended OCI, and definitely use the OEM filters. They're excellent, not expensive, and Hyundai/Kia are sticklers about that.

BTW, many of the Optima and Sorento are built in Georgia now.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the advice and yes this is the greatest country in the world and everyones opinions are welcomed. Who knows I might one day regret the purchase, but it's hard to beat a 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty. On the other hand it might end up being the best auto purchase I have ever made. Time will tell. Hopefully the oil advice will help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back