Pennzoil Platinum in 2.0L Ford Ecoboost=recipe for disaster?

Any concern with the Pennz Platinum is it is formulated on the thin side of the 30 wt.

welcome2.gif
Pennzoil is one of the top oil's around. What does your friend use?

Originally Posted by carguy1701
Yes. The shop I work at uses Pennzoil and to the best of my knowledge, none of the cars that've been serviced there since the switch (which occurred at the beginning of 2016) have suffered engine failures because of it. However, I am mindful of the phrase 'hear all, trust nothing'.

Out of everything you've posted this is truly the most ridiculous. Engine failure from a fully formulated motor oil produced by a reputable manufacturer?

Your first post in this thread is a doozy, full of completely unsubstantiated nonsense.

Originally Posted by carguy1701
I was a referred here by an internet friend who said that Pennzoil Platinum isn't a good as it's cracked up to be. I'm not sure who to believe on the matter.

That's interesting, I wonder why he referred you here?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Pennzoil Platinum is one of the best oils available. Go to the uoa section here and spend some time studying.

I agree PP is an excellent product (I guess as I have never used it) but UOAs really don't tell us much at all apart from the condition of the oil like dirt, fuel, or coolant.

That's a good question, maybe I was wrong about him referring me here. He acted like it has caused multiple engine failures, even when I told him I used the full synthetic; said something about comparing a UOA of that stuff versus the Walmart house brand stuff.

Either way, I'll stick with it, not least of which because I get a nice discount.

Last edited:
I am not sure what Pennzoil is cracked up to be, but I would guess since it passes the testing done on it and lots of people use it, the Pennzoil would be fine. I have been know to ask where did you get the idea.

My '05 Sport Trac lived a long and healthy life on Platinum 5W-30. Other cars I've owned have been rotated between PP and M1, and I've yet to have an engine issue that's related to oil. Clearly we're not getting your friend's entire story, but rest assured, if your engine is healthy, PP will do a good job keeping it that way.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is closer to being on the upper end KV100 of a 5W20. I never used it in my 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. Find something a little thicker. Castrol Magnatec 5W30 or Mobil 1 5W30 original. Heck, even Super Tech 5W30 Full Synthetic is thicker.
Recipe for disaster? NO

If there's anything I've learned from years of lurking here, it's that you're pretty much in good shape with any name brand synthetic (and a good number of the house brands too)

M1. PP. Castrol. Valvoline. Quaker State. Take your pick. All of them will do the job and the difference between brands is close to negligible. Look for specs that are met and pick your poison.

Back