Pennzoil Platinum: best value for 95% of America

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

With the exception of you folks in Alaska...PP 5w30 at the 5 quart BOGO price of $14.25 is by far the best synthetic oil for 95% of the USA as it is almost 1/2 the ridiculous non-competitive price of Mobil 1. I think it should be re-named Pennzoil American Synthetic Gold Standard. All domestic auto producers should use it for factory fill and dump the Mobil1.
patriot.gif

PP is a great oil for the $. You could be right. I was fortunate enough to speak with someone yesterday who works for Mobil R&D. After speaking with him, I still believe M1 to be one of the best.

Most people on this website do not qualify for a synthetic oil, but when it comes to low/high temp performance and deposit protection, M1 is outstanding.

PP is a great deal when BOGOF but its regular everyday price
of 5.78 a qt. is no bargain. For an average driver changing oil at 5K or less regular old Pennzoil dino (or GTX, Havoline etc..) makes better sense. PP used to be 3.97 at WM but that has gone up to 4.97. Unless you are going to double your OCI I don't think its worth paying twice the price.

You guys must be seeing something I am not in saying 5K oil changes with Dino is okay. In some cases yes, others I don't think so. In most of the UOA's the insol's are about .4, the TBN is in the 1.5 range, etc. I don't see any comfort zone here with dinos. In my most unlearned optinion, I think 4K is a better standard if there is such a thing. I prefer a little cushion on the numbers than what I have seen.
Just my opinion adjusted for inflation
Greg Harrison

I understand they have both migrated to groupIII? Why do you think they would do this? I'll take a guess: so they can play ball with BOGOs and other rebates.

expect to start seeing Mobil 1 stepping up to the plate with "deals".. sometime in the next year or so.

Quote:

of 5.78 a qt. is no bargain. For an average driver changing oil at 5K or less regular old Pennzoil dino (or GTX, Havoline etc..) makes better sense. PP used to be 3.97 at WM but that has gone up to 4.97. Unless you are going to double your OCI I don't think its worth paying twice the price.

At our local ChinaMart
patriot.gif
the quart of PP is $4.97...however the 5qt jug is still $19.97=$3.99 per quart. Go figure
smile.gif

Quote:

Pennzoil Platinum: best value for 95% of America

Depends on the length of OCI - when grouping/comparing this brand to Group IVs and Vs.

I only do 6K OCIs with synthetics - so Group IIIs work great for me. But I'm not high-hog on Platinum - it's the only one of three synthetics I tried that increased my oil consumption.... even after staying with it for three OCIs. I've since purchased the other "same-priced as Platinum" synthetic....ie... Quaker State. I'm hoping to have better luck with that one.

You cannot beat the Chinamart-pricing of both brands - when purchasing the five quart jug. That lowers the quart price to just nder $4. Much cheaper than the noisier, regular Mobil-1.

"is almost 1/2 the ridiculous non-competitive price of Mobil 1".

Again...you are talking about a sale at ONE outlet. While PP is noticeably less at Walmart, at most retail outlets the prices are the same or very close.

You think Pennzoil is giving the stuff away because they are nice guys? LOL Their previous synthetic oil was a dust collector on stores shelves. They have spent a bundle since the introduction of Platinum on advertising and give away's as they try to gain market share.

It is a good deal at buy one get one free or with some of the heavy rebates..those inclined should load up, but to try and turn sales and promotions into more M1 bashing is just silly IMO.

BTE Mobil had a buy three get three free that ran at Pep Boys a few years ago

tenderloin made another great post. No, I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm still waiting for PT1 to describe the tests on motor oil he said happened at his work.

Quote:

I agree 100%. The only time i'd suggest PP is if you can get a very good deal. It use to be a good deal when it was $3.97 at walmart, but not anymore.

I think most people recommend PP because they see others doing it, they just jump on the bandwagon and assume it must be a good oil. I'd like to hear the average joe who recommends PP explain why it'd be a better choice than walmart synthetic, castrol syntec, mobil 1, or any other synthetic motor oil, without using price as a reason.

Quote:

"I understand they have both migrated to groupIII"?

They both did? Hmmmmmmmm

I think there were some threads about that recently... I have only heard references to those threads mentioned in other threads, haven't found the thread that discussed that to read for myself yet.. might try to dig it up, anyone have a link on that discussion? I think the consensus was that only a few of the Mobil-1 grades still contain POA base stocks. that being D1, 0w40, and I think there was another mentioned. I'm not sure if this was in regards to the EP, non-EP, or what.

Quote:

You think Pennzoil is giving the stuff away because they are nice guys? ...It is a good deal at buy one get one free or with some of the heavy rebates..those inclined should load up

Spot on...I've got 53 quarts now, or about 2 years worth for the Accord. Hopefully, there'll be more sales and promotions between now and then on PP or some other good syns.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100%. The only time i'd suggest PP is if you can get a very good deal. It use to be a good deal when it was $3.97 at walmart, but not anymore.

I think most people recommend PP because they see others doing it, they just jump on the bandwagon and assume it must be a good oil. I'd like to hear the average joe who recommends PP explain why it'd be a better choice than walmart synthetic, castrol syntec, mobil 1, or any other synthetic motor oil, without using price as a reason.

I'll turn this around on you
smile.gif
There is much much documentation on this board and others as to the abilities of PP. UOA's being the main source. Also on this board and others there are endless post of great butt dyno/smoother/quieter etc....so I don't think you have to look very hard to hear ad nauseam from the "average Joe" what he thinks of PP. So you show everybody why it isn't a good value or on par or better than the oils you mention. Now I cant find any of those post so maybe you can share that angle of the discussion. And while your at it...get the GC folks out of their own forum and out here and have them explain why GC is better than the other oils. And go get the Mobil1 guys and have them explain also. Heck go get Bill ( Utah Bill) and get him in here to defend his Dino runs and why that is better than the oils you mentioned.
And explain to us why the most respected oil analyzer/guru ( No names mentioned but we all know who I'm talking about) is now recommending PP to his customers. Hustle!
smile.gif
LOL...
fruit.gif

[quote
Spot on...I've got 53 quarts now, or about 2 years worth for the Accord. Hopefully, there'll be more sales and promotions between now and then on PP or some other good syns.

It's rumored that Advanced Auto has a pre-planned promotional contract with SOPUS & will have the same BOGOF on Platinum & Quaker State in July and December. I'll wait until December to buy.

mdocod

Quote:

.... I think the consensus was that only a few of the Mobil-1 grades still contain POA base stocks. that being D1, 0w40, and I think there was another mentioned. .....

Well, that's certainly what's been rolling all over the Internet for some months. Trying to find the source led me here, which is where it all seemed to originate.

Like Mark Twain noted when his death was announced, the announcement appears to be premature.

Quote:

I'll turn this around on you
smile.gif
There is much much documentation on this board and others as to the abilities of PP. UOA's being the main source. Also on this board and others there are endless post of great butt dyno/smoother/quieter etc....so I don't think you have to look very hard to hear ad nauseam from the "average Joe" what he thinks of PP. So you show everybody why it isn't a good value or on par or better than the oils you mention. Now I cant find any of those post so maybe you can share that angle of the discussion. And while your at it...get the GC folks out of their own forum and out here and have them explain why GC is better than the other oils. And go get the Mobil1 guys and have them explain also. Heck go get Bill ( Utah Bill) and get him in here to defend his Dino runs and why that is better than the oils you mentioned.
And explain to us why the most respected oil analyzer/guru ( No names mentioned but we all know who I'm talking about) is now recommending PP to his customers. Hustle!
smile.gif
LOL...
fruit.gif

Butt dyno/smoother/quieter means nothing to me and is more than likely psychological. From what i've seen, PP uoa's aren't much different from conventional motor oil uoa's, close enough that the differences could be a simple matter of lab equipment not being calibrated properly. I'm not going to take on why Terry recommends PP, his knowledge is far, far superior to mine and i respect his opinion. For the record, i think that GC is overrated as well.

Conventional motor oil is the best value for 95% of America, but I do think that when PP goes on sale, it is a great bargain. I still stand by what i said though, i think that many members on this board recommend PP because they hear that it's a great oil. We've been through this with havoline conventional in the past, and we are still doing it with GC. I'm simply trying to discourage hearsay, and encourage critical thinking.

Your a tough one! UOA's be ****ed. Cast out all opinions and personal observations ( referred to as butt dyno's/observations/opinions)...firend if you encourage critical thinking you may need to take some of your very own advise.....but I digress....todays conventional oils are far superior to anything we ever had in the 60's/70's/80's and heck even the 90's
smile.gif
It is some very good stuff..these SM rated conventionals for sure....UOA's are not hearsay. Professional degreed analyst recommendations are not hearsay. And folks personal opinions, albeit just that, is never the less...not hearsay either. Google Pennzoil Platinum ...lots of car forums...imports/trucks/hot rods are all barking about PP. That is a far cry from hearsay or a bandwagon in my book. I recommend conventional when it is called for...I recommend Mobil 1 when a fella has an engine that Mobil 1 consistently shows great results...I also recommend PP allot these days for the right applications....and I'll be honest...the PP recommendations cover a heck of a lot more than the others
smile.gif

So IMHO an that is based on UOA's/Pro recommendations and the impossible to ignore noise in the automotive community...and yes now my personal experiance going from Royal Purple to PP based on UOA's and pro recommendations...I find PP to be superior for my applications ( see sig..I have a wide swath of applications)
regardless of price! So throw in the price and I can see why folks are excited about PP. I cant find any fault with them. Heck I agree
smile.gif
Was in ChinaMart to buy cheap stuff this morning...did my obligatory walk down the oil isle....Heck all the conventionals are over $2 bucks now...and there sat the PP in the 5qt jug for $19.97....no contest. I'm not trying to persuade you nor influence you. And I appreciate a guy's opinion...........

Smart people learn from their experiences. Even smarter people learn from other's experiences. When Terry says PP is very good, I put much more faith in that than when somebody states something about a seat-o-the-pants dyno "feeling". However, even with Terry's statement, I did UOA's on my car to verify. It does fine for at least 8000 miles, and I can use my little 51365 Wix Filter for at least 15000 miles according to my UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back