Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, 10,000 miles, '15 Ford C-Max, 66k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Boiling temperature of water is very near ideal. Makes sense. Water in oil is bad for oil and evaporation rate is lower at lower temps. It spikes at the boiling temperature. Too high of a temp. causes increased rate of degradation reactions like oxidation and nitration. Somewhere the sum of the two negative traits will be at a minimum, which is right near water's boiling temp.

I have a '13 C-max with 180k on the engine. It was dealer serviced for the first 118k at 10k OCI at the local Ford dealer, so MC stock 5W-20 most likely. Since getting the car 2 years ago, I have put on 62k and used Fram Ultra Filters XG3614 and Valvoline Maxlife Semi-Syn 5W-30. Been changing the oil at anywhere between 5k to 12k miles. I find that the oil indicator is set to go off when 10k actual miles is used, so the EV miles are not included in the 10k OC light. Been running a fairly regular 200 mile RT commute in SoCal and have averaged 34-35 mpg. I definitely don't feel that the engine is easy on the oil but I have only added oil once when I was pushing 12k miles. I average 75 mph on the highways and go from 1200-3600 rpms, so this engine does work and under fairly high load versus the Lexus LS 600 hybrid which easily maintains 1300 rpms (max 2000).

Recently used an Amsoil Engine Flush for 30 mins and found my mpg go slightly higher, maybe 1-2 mpg.

For reference, lifetime EV miles on my car is around 18-20%, so the hybrid system is nothing to write home about versus the Prius where I would easily get 46-53 mpgs in my old 06.

Going to use Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn 10W-30 at my next OC.

writes123, That year of C-Max was spec'ed for 5w20 yet it can use anything from 0w20 to Xw30 in your climate especially. Smart to use a Fram Ultra and a High Mileage type oil there. .....Highway trips over flat ground in my '15 model match your results of around 35 MPG. In pure city driving its about 52 MPG. I have a 44 MPG lifetime average now, so you can see I do somewhere between flat, high-speed driving and stop-n-go hilly stuff. .... Your commute is 200 miles RT as you mentioned, and when I lived in S.Cal in the late '90's I had a 95 mile round trip, my longest ever by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back