Pennzoil Motorcycle Premium Plus Oil Revealed

I will watch this, but I wonder how much GTL they contain. It's not an ideal choice of base oil if you want no shear. GTL lends itself very well for 5w-xx oils and can be used in 0w-xx, but counter productive in higher winter ratings.

I will watch this, but I wonder how much GTL they contain. It's not an ideal choice of base oil if you want no shear. GTL lends itself very well for 5w-xx oils and can be used in 0w-xx, but counter productive in higher winter ratings.
But no base stocks shear regardless of composition. It's better than a stock with a lower VI.

As someone who rides more than most, this is interesting... yes.

I'm a SOPUS guy, however, but I'll never buy it. I'll stick with M1 4T 10w-40.

I just don't see SOPUS having any sort of long term committment to such a product. They'll release it, and then over time...demand will dwindle, then maybe they'll hit it up with a minor rename and another marketing blitz...demand will fade yet again, and then they'll quietly kill it off.

Unless they can prove that it is a superior product to anything that is currently available, I just don't see them ever getting enough market share to make it worth the effort.

I use M1 for three reasons. Reputation of Mobil 1, Available at any WalMart, Price of $10/quart for a motorcycle specific product. OK, SOPUS... knock yourselves out. Good luck.

Last edited:
if the price is RIGHT!! as soon as MOTORCYCLE goes in front of the oil its $$$ prolly a higher profit margin for the "reported" different addative package. i use 15-50 motorcycle oils synthetic + have maximus semi-syn on deck with advertised 50% ester. motorcycles are harder on oils IMO as cooling is usually less than optimal if not moving in warmer weather, i would try it after others do!

I just don't see SOPUS having any sort of long term committment to such a product.
So you know what's funny is this oil was supposed to have been released Q1 of 2023, but here we are almost at the close of the quarter and this can't be found anywhere.

I emailed Shell support to ask if this was being released soon. Nine days and still no response. Which is odd, because I've emailed them about oil questions before and they replied thoroughly within a couple days.

I also could have sworn they had announced this oil (along with the rest of this new "Outdoors" line) in an Instagram post, and now I can't find any post from them about this oil anymore.

It looks like it may have been canceled before it even hit the shelves...

I want it to come out, so it will no sell and then go on clearance.

Is that bad of me to wish that?

I am not all that picky on the oil for my bikes.
I have been using several different HDEO's for the past few years (conventional, blends, and synthetic) and have had good results.
I currently have some Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 in my GL1800 at the moment due to the last Mobil rebate.

I want it to come out, so it will no sell and then go on clearance.

Is that bad of me to wish that?

I am not all that picky on the oil for my bikes.
I have been using several different HDEO's for the past few years (conventional, blends, and synthetic) and have had good results.
I currently have some Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 in my GL1800 at the moment due to the last Mobil rebate.
Hey, I'm right there with you. If this did/does end up on clearance at some point then I would gladly stock up.

I'm just surprised that Shell doesn't want any of this market. I get that the motorcycle oil market is small, but Shell produces the OEM Ducati oil (with joint Shell branding on the label) so it's not like they have zero presence there.

If Mobil, Castrol and Valvoline all offer motorcycle oils in the US, then there must be money to be made. Heck, they could bottle the same product in Pennzoil bottles and market it toward sportbikes/nakeds, and then also offer it in Quaker State bottles and market that toward the cruiser market to differentiate the SOPUS offerings, and try to entice all types of riders into buying the same thing, and get more shelf space in stores, too.

Back