Pennzoil..How long does it take for additives to fall out?

rav

Good morning guys. As the title say, I'm wondering if any of you can tell me how long it take for additives & particulate matter to fall out of or settle/separate in oils.

Here's the back ground. I use Pennzoil oil in just about all my vehicles, mostly BMW's but also have a Silverado. I was reading some reviews on the Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum oil online & several posters had mentioned that after changing the oil in their car/truck, that they found "mud/dirt" in the bottom of the 5 quart jug. I'm thinking "this is crazy". Well, when I finished one of my last oil changes I looked into the jug & low & behold there was some dark brown stuff left in the bottom. (see picture). After more research online, I read a Pennzoil engineer reply, "Pennzoil oils" are clear when processed. Pennzoil then adds additive packages that also changes the color to where its more of a light honey color". The reason behind this for the different protections & viscosities. (& most people don't like clear oil) The article went on to mention, that depending on how long the oil had been sitting, the additive package tends to "settle out" & collect on the bottom of the container and that you need to shake the container BEFORE adding the the car, so as to remix these additives. As old as I am, and that's pretty oil, I have been changing my own oil for over 60 years and had never heard or seen this before.
So, hence, the reason for this post. How long does it take for not only additives to "fall to the bottom" but also any particles that are in your crankcase or transmission?
one, two, three or more months? Is there a website that you know of that explains this process. (I'm a retired engineer :>)

Pennzoil.jpg

I my experience the wax separates from the additives in approx 10 months .

I usually put the old bottles in my trunk the week before I plan on using them to shake them up a bit.

So did you wipe the settled additives out of the bottle with your finger then wipe it off on the dipstick or in the oil fill hole?

That would have been a true Bitoger move.... Lol

I have noticed the same material in the bottom after an oil change.

Now I am sure to shake up the jugs to ensure I am getting the additive pack back in suspension.

Makes me wonder if they have some agitation in the bulk oil drums in the oil change shops, & dealerships to keep additives in suspension.

The first time I noticed the sludgy looking material in the bottom I thought it was grit, or dirt contaminants.

I cut the top of the jug off and ran my finger over the bottom of the jug, & between my fingers, & it was not gritty at all.

General Motors requested or suggested that its dealers not to use larger bulk tanks that a years worth of oil usage because of separation. I saw this article about 10 years ago. Not positive about the years worth of usage because it may have been 15 months. Ed

Are you suggesting than now we need to know the usable half life of Pennzoil and they should have to put expiration dates on oil? Well you just added another $5 a jug to the cost.

there are commercial agitators for large drums that would/could stir
the contents every so often.
Not holding my breath waiting for a dealer to get one.

All of the brands I’ve used (Mostly M1) do this, especially if the oil sits for awhile. I always shake the containers before I do an oil change to get everything mixed back into the suspension.

Pennzoil fall out back on regular scheduled programming ... Once every other month or so :)

Shake the bottle in all positions and directions ( upside down , etc. ) . Usually do this every few months or when thought of . Shook the heck out of the bottles of the SHELL R.G.T. dated 2018 that were recently purchased at A.A.P.. Still sore from it . Could be next sensation for workouts !

Last edited:
I’ve tried to like PP and I‘m sure many here use it with great results. I couldn’t bring myself to pour oil in my hard earned vehicles that has that “fallout” sediment. Went back to Valvoline. I‘ve used Valvoline Synpower now Advanced for years with never a trace of sediment. Shaking motor oil before use seems rather strange to me.

I’ve tried to like PP and I‘m sure many here use it with great results. I couldn’t bring myself to pour oil in my hard earned vehicles that has that “fallout” sediment. Went back to Valvoline. I‘ve used Valvoline Synpower now Advanced for years with never a trace of sediment. Shaking motor oil before use seems rather strange to me.
I had a 5 quart jug of Valvoline white bottle that had what looked like sand settled at the bottom of the jug one time.

I have a jug of PPHM 10W30 that has two quarts leftover in it that's been sitting for a few months. The bottom of the jug is spotless.

Back