pennzoil cold flow test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got bored the other day, so I grabbed my freezer thermometer, and a quart each of pennz 10w/5w-30 and stuck them in my basement freezer for the day. I cranked that pupy up as cold as she would go. When I ckecked it out later, it was 5 degrees below 0 F. Ahh ha, perfect cold staqrt pumpibility testing weather in my freezer (if only I could put my car in there
tongue.gif
). Well, the pennz 10w-30 was STIFF. I mean, practically no movement at all. Once it did get moving and sloshing, it moved a bit better. The 5w-30 pennz on the other hand flowed awesome, **** near still like Mobil 1. NIGHT AND DAY difference. If I took both quarts of oil in my hand and flipped them, the 5w-30 instantly went to the other side, while the 10w-30 ran like cold Mollasses and took a good 5-6 seconds to drain from one side of the bottle to the other. Well, I awnsered my own questions in some of my previous posts. 5w-30 Pennz for winter it is. I won't do 10w-30 in temps below about 10-20 degrees I'd say, based on how viscous the stuff was compared to 5W. Cheers

You should've tried that test with Mobil 1 15w50, since a lot of people believe that it'll still flow well in cold just because of it's low pour point, however I still think it'll be very thick.

Hey there Pablo...the water didn't do a darn thing...I just wanted to see how fast the water would freeze up!
grin.gif

I was really surprised how readily it flowed though. Like I said, I'll give it a chance this winter and see how it does.

BTW, sorry I didn't have a thermometer. It would have been nice to see how cold it actually was in there, but I'm content with the fact that I know it was colder in that freezer than it will ever get here in winter!

I think I freezer burned the **** out of some meat in my freezer. My Mom walked down there and came back upstairs with a "what the **** are you doing look" towards me. She then proceeded to turn the freezer back down and get my oil the **** out of there
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I think I freezer burned the **** out of some meat in my freezer. My Mom walked down there and came back upstairs with a "what the **** are you doing look" towards me. She then proceeded to turn the freezer back down and get my oil the **** out of there
twak.gif

Your buddies at BITOG will support you Drew...we are behind you...you just call if you need us...by the way, you'll probably get my answering machine.........
wink.gif

I did the same thing the other day, but with a different oil.

Now that I'm using Delo 400 15w-40 in my truck, I wanted to see how it would flow in cold temperatures, and I was really curious since they say it has a pour point in excess of -30.

Well, I put six ounces of water and six ounces of of Delo in styrofoam cups and cranked the freezer (freezer/fridge unit) as high as it would go...I don't know the exact temperature, but the water froze within 30 minutes.

I let the oil sit overnight, and took a look in the morning.

To my amazement, the oil still poured right out of the cup, albeit much, much thicker than when it went into the freezer...I was impressed and will give the Delo a try this winter (in Kentucky it doesn't get that cold) and see how it does

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You should've tried that test with Mobil 1 15w50, since a lot of people believe that it'll still flow well in cold just because of it's low pour point, however I still think it'll be very thick.

that is s good point and a big misconception. Just because one oil has a pour point of -60* and the other -33* does not mean that the -60* has better characteristics at -5*. This flow scale is not linear at all.

[ September 17, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back