pennzoil add pack falling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'm nearly certain that the hard residue left behind in my 20 yr old M1 15w-50 was the add pack. What else would it be? There was a lot of it and it didn't dissolve back into solution or break up even after 5-10 minutes of vigorous shaking. I had to use a pointed metal rod to slowly break into it. Surprised at just how hard that was for a "chemical."

I'm wondering if it isn't the container itself, in some instances, an edge from a seam in the container? I've seen that too when I've cut plastic bottles to make makeshift funnels.

Very common to have add packs stratify in containers,when sitting for long periods of time. That is the reason GM and other manufactures suggest to size the bulk oil containers at dealers be limited in size. Ed

I noticed Firestone got my PP from a six gallon container in a handy rack of oil flavors ...

I wonder if the fall out is just more noticeable with Pen synthetics since they are so pure and clear made from natural gas? Then again maybe made from natural gas makes the add pack fall out of suspension quicker? I always check the bottom of my oil bottles for stuff and the only time I have noticed it was when I added a quart of Formula Shell conventional 10w30 in my mower the oil was about 6 years old sealed I just shook it and all was well.

I always shake the oil jugs also... My sons friend bought a 5 qt. container of Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 in the new jugs to do an oil change (all over my driveway) and i looked inside and it was super clean no residue at all whatsoever. He says the Pennzoil was $2.00 cheaper than the Valvoline he usually gets also the new Pennzoil containers have better caps on them than the old ones but still no inner seal..

My Pennzoil Ultra from last years AutoZone bonanza have additives at the bottom so I'm not sure it matters if it's made from natural gas. This is the older Ultra pre-natural gas.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Shake well before use.

I do that with any oil before pouring it into the engine.

01.gif
banana2.gif
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I have seen it in Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol and Auto Zone oil.
Never worried about it, I usually just shake oil before I pour (although I have wondered at times if the residue is add pack or contaminates dropping out of suspension).

I called Pennzoil today and spoke with them about this. They said it was normal and they would send me a full explanation via email. that has not arrived yet but I will update you guys when it does. I gotta be honest the idea of the stuff getting into my engine is a little bit of a concern, at least right now until I do more research

The response from pennzoil
Hello:

Finding sediment or deposits at the bottom of new bottles of motor oil is a common and harmless occurrence in all conventional and synthetic motor oil products in the market today. This may occur regardless of the base oil used and does not negatively impact the performance of a motor oil.

Most often, the sediment found is a by-product of a type of nanotechnology used in motor oils to keep the pH balance correct in storage, and then in use inside a motor. The practice is commonly referred to as over-basing a motor oil and is designed to account for the acids formed in an engine during the combustion process.

Periodically, some cosmetic dropout from motor oil is observed in a bottle, and that is most typically due to the result of effective nanotechnology in action, or the slow release of over-based detergents to help neutralize acids. Motor oil formulations are highly specified to help reduce the incidence, but ultimately over time some harmless molecular dropout will occur.

The filtration process employed when formulating the motor oils removes much of the sediment, and then once in use in an engine, any remaining particles are removed through normal operation.

Regards,

Does anyone know if shaking the oil bottle actually gets the additive pack to dissolve? Seems like a chemical separation that can't be simply dissolved back into solution.

That would be my take: poor solvency/polarity and high detergency make for strange bedfellows. To be fair, I'm sure they use more soluble adds (diesters?) to counterman this - maybe just not enough. Wasn't Mobil using some group I base stocks in their PAO'S years ago? Kinda takes the shine off this whole quasi synthetic thing.

Shaking the bottle did absolutely nothing for me. The stuff still stayed in the bottom

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
Does anyone know if shaking the oil bottle actually gets the additive pack to dissolve? Seems like a chemical separation that can't be simply dissolved back into solution.

Shaking immediately before pouring might help when getting it into the engine, and then letting the heat and pumping take care of things from there. On the other hand, there have been posts here in the past about the cleanliness of bottled motor oil, and what you're actually stirring up when you shake them. So, there's no good answer for an OCD BITOGer when it comes to this.
wink.gif

I thought I'd have a look on YouTube and the first video I came across was this one...

https://youtu.be/GkCuN-qP0-Q

My first reaction was 'that's Moly'!

Moly additives (the oil soluble kind, not Molybdenum Disulphide) are always the blackest additive in any DI pack. Moly additives aren't always as soluble as you would like then to be either. As often as not you rely on the ashless dispersant in the DI pack to keep them in solution. I don't know what base oil this Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 uses (Group II, Group III or GTL) but none of these base stocks have the inherently high solvency power of good old Group I. Group II is particularly bad.

If it is dropped-out Moly, then shaking the bottle will do bugger all to get it back in solution as it's actually quite gooey stuff and will cling to the bottom of the bottle. I might also add that if it is Moly, then it will be 'missed' because some of the API tests will rely on that Moly being present to get a test pass.

Of course I could be 100% wrong. This is just me speculating. However it would be a two minute job to put the deposit through ICP to confirm this hypothesis...

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I thought I'd have a look on YouTube and the first video I came across was this one...

https://youtu.be/GkCuN-qP0-Q

My first reaction was 'that's Moly'!

Moly additives (the oil soluble kind, not Molybdenum Disulphide) are always the blackest additive in any DI pack. Moly additives aren't always as soluble as you would like then to be either. As often as not you rely on the ashless dispersant in the DI pack to keep them in solution. I don't know what base oil this Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 uses (Group II, Group III or GTL) but none of these base stocks have the inherently high solvency power of good old Group I. Group II is particularly bad.

If it is dropped-out Moly, then shaking the bottle will do bugger all to get it back in solution as it's actually quite gooey stuff and will cling to the bottom of the bottle. I might also add that if it is Moly, then it will be 'missed' because some of the API tests will rely on that Moly being present to get a test pass.

Of course I could be 100% wrong. This is just me speculating. However it would be a two minute job to put the deposit through ICP to confirm this hypothesis...

That was my first thought, too, but I wasn't in the mood to create a sh*t storm with all the moly lovers out there. Why do you state group II is "Particularly bad" at solvency? If anything group III & IV should be worse.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Shake well before use.

I do that with any oil before pouring it into the engine.

Shaken, not stirred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back