Pennzoil 20w20?

I saw some pennzoil yellow bottle 20w20 in an Ace hardware yesterday. It says “for stop and go driving” on the front. I’ve never seen this or heard of it before. The quarts were pretty dusty. Is this old product or what? I googled it and didn’t come up with anything.

I could swear it said 20w20. I picked one up and looked at it. I found a picture of it online too. Looks like what I saw.

982BE700-450D-4444-B008-DC9931F51F08.jpeg

Looks like straight 20 weight oil from years ago. I didn't think they made that for years. They used to make 10 and 20 and 30 straight weight oils. Haven't seen anything but 30 for years now.

When I first started pumping gas about a hundred years ago we sold 20w-20 in cans, Texaco brand. It was a popular oil in Colorado

bitog old-timers will like it if it's a straight 20 with no vii.
If your winter can handle it and meets other spec why not.

I think it was a SAE 20 monograde oil that also passed the 20W winter starting test (whatever it was back then). Which not all SAE 20 would have passed, depending on the quality of the base oil.

Remember “W” stands for winter (not weight).

The label with the black stripes shown in the picture was introduced around 1995. Bottles, cases, banners, trucks and race cars had that yellow and black scheme for a few years. The 20W-20 was discontinued around the mid '00s, I think. It had been a pretty dead product for a while by then.

Nice find. Go grab a couple quarts for keeps. 🙂 had a customer back in the eighties who ran Pennzoil and Quaker State HD 20w-20 in a 78 Chevy work van with a 72 400 small block. Worked quite well.

Back