[Peanut] Oil Stains on Concrete Won't Come Out

I spilled peanut oil from the Turkey fryer onto my concrete patio. After a pressure wash most of the surface stain was removed, but, there is a darker underlying stain of the oil that seems to have been sucked into the surface. So far conventional concrete cleaners and scrubbing has not helped.

I'm looking for the magic potion that will take these spots away.

Paint over the surface

Oil biodegrades with time.... You either wait forever and learn from the mistake, or you live with the stain

Another option is to soak the entire patio in used peanut oil and make it all look the same(don't do that)

If you lived in a country that wasn't as environmentally regulated, I would suggest a splash some gasoline on top. I heard it works really good for motor oil

I wash my garage floors once a year out with dawn dish soap at a very high concentration, I apply directly to heavier statins, scrub, then add water, scrub again, after rinsing, I follow up with simple green and water, floor always looks good despite all the wrenching, messes I create.

The removal of oil requires 3 things: high detergent, high pH, and high alkaline. This is why Dawn, and other dish detergents, recommend washing dishes in warm water. The higher temp water increases the pH, thus increasing its oil removal capabilities. This is why many car soaps are pH neutral, so they don't strip waxes, which are many times petroleum distillates, but they don't remove road film, which is the nasty stuff you want off your clearcoat. Super Clean and Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash are good for removing oils, as well as Dawn, when warm water is used.

The higher temp water increases the pH
How Does Temperature Affect pH?

ph.JPG

Clay cat litter, not the scoopable kind...

Pour it on the stain, then dance on it...

Not kidding, grind the cat litter into the concrete...

Sweep it up afterwords...

I've used wood ash with some success on oil stained concrete. Dampened it's like lye.

I spilled a can of helmsman spar urethane on my drive, not sure how to get that off.

Get purple power at walmart, lowes, or home depot. (half gallon) apply liberaly to the stain and let it soak for a bit then pressure wash it off. I used this method to get ATF off my drive way, took 2 soakings but it got it out. PP is a great degreaser just don't get it on aluminum because it will stain it.

Swimming pool acid from HD, dilute about 10:1; try carefully with a brush then rinsing off, and adjust concentration. Muriatic acid takes a bit of care but no more than using it on a pool, it’s already pretty diluted at the store but is strong stuff. You have to be careful or it will look newer than the rest of the concrete.

Clay cat litter, not the scoopable kind...

Pour it on the stain, then dance on it...

Not kidding, grind the cat litter into the concrete...

Sweep it up afterwords...
This^^, but I use oil dry instead of cat litter. Spread it over the stain, grind it in with your foot, then sweep it up.

Muratic acid will clean it off. You'll probably have to do the whole patio though. The part you clean with the acid will look a lot newer.

Stuffs definitely dangerous though so be careful and wear protective gear.

I think it's a done deal now . Pressure washing should have been the final step .

UV from the sun is the best for concrete stains. It will disappear on it’s own.

Back