PCV Valve OEM or Aftermarket

I was curious to see if most people use OEM rather than aftermarket PCV valves (50/50 split?)

I have used both based on price and availability.

What's venting your crankcase?

OEM only. Do you want to drive a Toyota or do you want to drive a Fram? Or a Dorman? I have replaced the PCV both my Gen 1 Tundra and 2006 Toyota Corolla during the past couple of weeks. Genuine Toyota Parts bought from a dealership and Made In Japan.

I’ve never had bad luck with aftermarket ones. I actually don’t know of anyone personally that would get one of those OEM in my opinion not worth extra unless you were getting a really bad brand. I know some people use OEM on here and that’s fine but my $2.35 one from Advanced Auto that is some brand I can’t remember (not Dorman) has been doing great over the last two years replaced the 30 year old OEM one that was in there. I actually don’t even think they still make the OEM ones for my truck.

OE only, the difference can be huge.

Edit: Demarpaint may chime in, his experiece with aftermarket ones is telling.
I had problems with aftermarket PCV valves on two different Ford E-150 vans with the 4.9L I6. Both started using oil soon after replacing the PCV valves with aftermarket parts. I ended up tossing them and went with Motorcraft and oil use stopped. I will only use OE for PCV valves as a result.

I had problems with aftermarket PCV valves on two different Ford E-150 vans with the 4.9L I6. Both started using oil soon after replacing the PCV valves with aftermarket parts. I ended up tossing them and went with Motorcraft and oil use stopped. I will only use OE for PCV valves as a result.
That is interesting that something so simple can cause huge problems.

Nondescript Autozone PCV valve made who knows where by anybody’s guess, $7.19
1609863525487.jpeg

Genuine Toyota Parts PCV Made In Japan, $5.03
PNG image.jpg

You said you want to drive a Toyota, not a Fram or Dorman.
So what brand are your windshield wipers?
Doubling down on stupid? Maybe the difference between disposable wear item and vital engine parts still escapes you? Didn’t work for you the first time and going back to the trough for more doesn’t help.

Doubling down on stupid? Maybe the difference between disposable wear item and vital engine parts still escapes you? Didn’t work for you the first time and going back to the trough for more doesn’t help.
Have a great day.

With the Buick Park Avenue, when I first got it in August of '07, I changed the PCV valve for an aftermarket one. It rattled -- I could hear it inside the car if the windows were down. I swapped it back out for an OEM, which fitted more snugly, and the sound went away.

Changed it regularly with an OEM valve after that.

I am usually not a diehard OEM only part guy but with a PCV valve - I do only use OEM because there are specific flow rates required depending on vehicle. You buy the OEM PCV and you get the exact specified function. You buy a FRAM or other brand and that same part may fit 10 other vehicles each with different flow rate specs....aftermarket will consolidate parts to save money so you get a part that may be "close" but not exact for your car. It may or may not matter much....but I once put an aftermarket PCV in my 87 Grand National and it caused an oil leak - which was why everyone in the GN world (who knows the 3.8SFI) will only use the GM part or they will get a leak. SInce using the OEM one I don't have issues anymore.....Had car since new and still own it.

Just looked at the box of the one I put in my truck. It’s an Intermotor brand. It has done fine for me.
Intermotor is SMP (Standard Motor Products), many times they rebox OE as in the case as the ones for Honda J35 for example so you may just have an OE unit installed and don't even know it.
Some engines are very finicky when it comes to the PCV valve eg old ecotec with the PCV with it mounted inside the intake, being a obsolete part guys were using ones for a later model that had a slightly larger orifice size. This caused a slightly higher misfire count on all cylinders and a slight shake at idle, not enough to trip a CEL but still there. With the correct one it was zero.

Guys that have them don't want to part with them so they are hard to find and there is no aftermarket not even a bad one.

Back