PCV and Oil Catch Can

Many people believe PCV design is one of the major factors that cause excessive oil consumption in a Gen-3 Prius after 150K miles. This excessive oil consumption results in EGR circuit clogged up. One proposal is to add an oil catch can.

In a normal placement, the oil catch can is placed after the PCV valve. However, the PCV valve is buried under the intake manifold and hard to reach for future replacement. I wonder if I can swap the position of the PCV valve with the outlet fitting of the oil catch can?

Basically 1) remove the PCV valve from the crankcase wall, 2) connect the oil catch can directly to the crankcase wall, 3) mount the PCV valve to the outlet fitting of the oil catch can, 4) finally connect the PCV valve to the intake manifold.

Do you see any problem with this arrangement?

I just installed a catch can today on chrysler 3.5 engine, took one hose from pcv to can and took other hose from intake manifold to other side of catch can. So pcv line goes to catch can then to intake manifold then back to catch can " in series" hope that helps!

Sorry for the late reply. Under normal conditions, your approach is the right way. But I don't want to remove the intake manifold every time I check/replace the PCV valve. That is why I want to swap the PCV valve with the OCC outlet fitting. Basically the blow-by vapor goes through the OCC first, then PCV valve and intake.

Excessive oil consumption will only be caused by the PCV valve if the PCV valve fails. They're easy to check or replace, and not very expensive. Oil catch cans can also cause issues like the moisture that's collected freezing, and not venting crankcase pressure as well, etc. Just something to consider before adding one.

... However, the PCV valve is buried under the intake manifold and hard to reach for future replacement. I wonder if I can swap the position of the PCV valve with the outlet fitting of the oil catch can?

Basically 1) remove the PCV valve from the crankcase wall, 2) connect the oil catch can directly to the crankcase wall, 3) mount the PCV valve to the outlet fitting of the oil catch can, 4) finally connect the PCV valve to the intake manifold. ...
Are you sure 'bout that? I believe the PCV valve is screwed into the manifold in stock state. The other end of that "U"-shaped hose connects to the oil separator in the crankcase wall. Search priuschat.com for examples of successful catch can installations.

Yes, Jake_J makes good points.

Back