PCV Catch-Can and Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people have tried to reduce oil consumption by installing a catch-can on the pcv line into the intake manifold to reduce oil ingestation? I've tried a new pcv valve, AutoRX, and now different brands of oil, thinking of a home made catch-can (air/liquid seperator for compressed air lines) just for fun. My spotless Civic engine (ran on M1 for first 100k of 131k total miles thus far) drinks 1qt per 2-3k miles without visible smoke or leaks anywhere. Quite liveable by my standards, but it would be more peace of mind if I don't have to check my oil every 1k miles (2 weeks @ my commute).

I don't see any means whereby oil consumption would be reduced.
The reciculated oil/blowby is now trapped [to be drained] - that's all.

quote:

Originally posted by VelociRacer:
drinks 1qt per 2-3k miles without visible smoke or leaks anywhere. Quite liveable by my standards, but it would be more peace of mind if I don't have to check my oil every 1k miles (2 weeks @ my commute).

1K check intervals are a bit sporty on a car using 1 qt in 2k miles. Sometimes engines greatly increase consumption with no warning.

trapping oil that would otherwise get ingsted helps keep CC deposits in check. I would feel better knowing I can reduce oil burn-off with a catch can. Some systems reclaim that liquid back into the crankcase, be it good or bad.

I've had to add 1qt after only 1k miles once, but that was a pretty high-speed (100mph), high-rpm (4-5k sustained) for a few hours. So I have a feel for when consumption suddenly jumps in my car. Also, it only takes 0.5qt to bring the oil level from Max to Min and vice versa on my Civic's dipstick. So that is all the safety buffer I am working with. My low oil pressure light never cames on except for 1-3 secs at startup.

I am just wondering if the oil is making it into the combustion chamber thru the PCV system, having exhausted all other avenues. Anyone out there with a similar case who have rigged up a pcv catch can?

quote:

trapping oil that would otherwise get ingsted helps keep CC deposits in check. I would feel better knowing I can reduce oil burn-off with a catch can.

The greater value might be the visual check it gives you on changes in the condition of your engine.

Much like small magnet in a drainplug.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
I don't see any means whereby oil consumption would be reduced.
The reciculated oil/blowby is now trapped [to be drained] - that's all.

I am using a catch can and a bypass filter. The oil getting caught in the catch can looks clean so I just pour it right back in. I'm loosing very little oil this way.

quote:

How many people have tried to reduce oil consumption by installing a catch-can on the pcv line into the intake manifold to reduce oil ingestation? I've tried a new pcv valve, AutoRX, and now different brands of oil, thinking of a home made catch-can (air/liquid seperator for compressed air lines) just for fun. My spotless Civic engine (ran on M1 for first 100k of 131k total miles thus far) drinks 1qt per 2-3k miles without visible smoke or leaks anywhere. Quite liveable by my standards, but it would be more peace of mind if I don't have to check my oil every 1k miles (2 weeks @ my commute).

1 quart ever 200-3000 miles is completely normal for a Civic. My friend has one and driving it at 60mph to and from work over 70 miles a day he will usually burn that.

He is installing the PCV catch can after he saw mine installed today. Works MINT, and guess what, 100 miles and there is already a teaspoon of oil in it.

Works great! Just make sure you use high pressure 3/8" fuel line and not cheap vinyl tubing like I first did. It will collapse when it gets flexible with the heat and vacuum.

Here is what you will need:

One Air/ Water separator
Two 1/4 inch thread/ 3/8" nipple.
Four 1/2inch hose clamps
Teflon tape
15-20 minutes worth of time.

You will find an excuse every 50 miles to open the hood to see how much you have collected and it is a hoot to watch. Kinda like a oil blender.

Oh, and also, remove the filter from the separator, it restricts the flow too much.

quote:

Originally posted by mjo:
I am using a catch can and a bypass filter. The oil getting caught in the catch can looks clean so I just pour it right back in. I'm loosing very little oil this way.

How much oil do you collect in, say, 3000 miles? What's your city/hwy split?

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
1 quart ever 2-3000 miles is completely normal for a Civic. My friend has one and driving it at 60mph to and from work over 70 miles a day he will usually burn that.

Yes, I am not worried too much about my Civic. This oil consumption started all-of-a-sudden around 80k miles. Maybe my driving routine changed right about that time too. Who knows. I drive 60-80mph for 80 miles every day. Many WOT to 7,200rpm cut-off just for fun. So this D16Y8 engine is not babied aside from regular maint.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
He is installing the PCV catch can after he saw mine installed today. Works MINT, and guess what, 100 miles and there is already a teaspoon of oil in it.

Works great! Just make sure you use high pressure 3/8" fuel line and not cheap vinyl tubing like I first did. It will collapse when it gets flexible with the heat and vacuum.

Here is what you will need:

One Air/ Water separator
Two 1/4 inch thread/ 3/8" nipple.
Four 1/2inch hose clamps
Teflon tape
15-20 minutes worth of time.

You will find an excuse every 50 miles to open the hood to see how much you have collected and it is a hoot to watch. Kinda like a oil blender.

Oh, and also, remove the filter from the separator, it restricts the flow too much.

Already have the seperator, the little $10 one. I predict it will fill up in a week (500 miles). I also got some "Emissions" hose (PCV, breather, etc.) and it is as stiff as the stock pcv tubing. Some 90deg elbow fittings to make a neat installation and short hose runs. I am waiting for the weekend when I will be doing a LOF and install this gizmo. Will let y'all know how it goes.

Would you please tell us how much oil your friend collects in 500miles (800km)? It would be interesting to see if oil loss on dipstick = oil collected in catch can. Thanks.

Don't put that crud back in your engine!
It contains SOME oil, but there is also burned fuel [blowby], and raw fuel, and maybe water!
Dump your catch can fluids!

i have these on all three of my vehicles..these are from accurate mach works and are all alluminum and not plastic..the polycarbonate plastic reacts with synthetic fluids as it states on those water separators from wal mart etc....yields suferic acid also are very restrictive!!! the above sep. are excellent cost 165 bucks and well worth it.

Running this as an experiment for now. If someone (or myself) manages to prove that oil loss on dipstick = oil collected in catch can, then I'll look into something safer, more robust, and more expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i have these on all three of my vehicles..these are from accurate mach works and are all alluminum and not plastic..the polycarbonate plastic reacts with synthetic fluids as it states on those water separators from wal mart etc....yields suferic acid also are very restrictive!!! the above sep. are excellent cost 165 bucks and well worth it.

You can get professional catch cans off of ebay for 20-40 bucks. Just search for oil catch can.

Not worth $160 at all.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i paid 95 bucks a piece and well worth it..since then, the price went up to 165 bucks still well worth it.

The ones I've seen on EBay and in stores are ALL metal and start at $19.99, include all mounting hardware, hoses, the whole shootin' match.

What do you get for an extra $75?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back