PC ..XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88

A lot of ATMs use some sort of limited functionality version of Windows XP.

Until 4 years ago my bank was still on WIN 2K. I watched it boot up. Oh what memories.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
"Get rid of XP and install Linux!" comments in 3... 2... 1...

Blastoff!
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yea, seriously, that would probably breath some new life into that machine,

... And performance, and stability, and security, and privacy, and support. OP did not disclose printer and scanner models but I cannot imagine any that are of any reasonable age not being fully supported in Linux-based OS's.

Make darn certain that you are using either Firefox or Chrome if you must remain with XP. In my experience Firefox runs a little faster/ smoother on low-end machines.

You're right. I think my almost 10 yeas old Dell Vostro 1000 with AMD Athlon TK-53 799 MHz(with 2GB DRAM) is as low-end laptop as can be seen running today.

I tried Chrome for few months, it was much slower than Firefox. I almost never use IE.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I tried Chrome for few months, it was much slower than Firefox. I almost never use IE.

I have an older laptop, a modern low-end laptop (both Linux, both 64 bit) and a 2006 (32 bit) MacBook Pro; all of which run Firefox much more smoothly than Chrome. The 32 bit Mac is not even supported any more with Chrome, which is exclusively 64 bit now. I cannot even find a decent 32 bit build of Chromium for Mac any more.

Would a couple gigs of ram make it useable for surfing? It's a 750 MHz AMD processor.

It was a garbage find so I don't want to throw $20 at it if it's going to still be useless.

It does have good speakers and a copy of office and acrobat on it though.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I have an older laptop, a modern low-end laptop (both Linux, both 64 bit) and a 2006 (32 bit) MacBook Pro; all of which run Firefox much more smoothly than Chrome. The 32 bit Mac is not even supported any more with Chrome, which is exclusively 64 bit now. I cannot even find a decent 32 bit build of Chromium for Mac any more.

The only place where chrome runs faster than firefox these days is on android devices

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Would a couple gigs of ram make it useable for surfing? It's a 750 MHz AMD processor.

It was a garbage find so I don't want to throw $20 at it if it's going to still be useless.

It does have good speakers and a copy of office and acrobat on it though.

I'm guessing it's an old Athlon at that speed. There is nothing you can do for it, its time has come and gone a decade ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back