PBS, TV channels in different countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
PBS is a free TV channel in the US that most people have access to. There's online and app variants of the station as well, some of which you have to pay to access. I wanted to know if there's any channels in other countries that might be similar. I only speak English (and a little Spanish).

Years ago I remember Sweden and France having English language TV shows.
I didn't check in the other countries where I may have had access to television.
The Swedish show was titled, "Tourist Time". It had a comedic angle and the Swedes would listen to it to practice their English.
I have no recollection of the type of English language show(s) which were available in France.

Depending where you are you may have access to English language stuff on Free-To-Air satellite. lyngsat.com has lists.

Canada has CBC, which is our public broadcaster, and partly publicly funded. It's got some things online, but I haven't really checked its online offerings too much, other than the news on the web. Of course, I get U.S. PBS on my satellite feed; it's ubiquitous on cable up here.

New Zealand has always had free to air TV, some are government owned, some private, and all are funded by adds. We don't have ''cable'', or maybe, but it would be a small local thing. Sky is the other big player, and you have to pay...and we don't pay, I have always said (and tell the telemarketers) that they should pay me to watch their channel. Now I don't watch free to air, I Chromecast, and often I stream the free to air stations, so I can watch programs, even news and weather when I want to watch. Sky stole all the free to air sports, so you have to pay to watch any sport these days...the government is giving them a stern look, and saying sports of national signifigence should be available to all member of the public. Sky is in trouble anyway now with all the streaming, they will be gone soon.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Canada has CBC, which is our public broadcaster, and partly publicly funded. It's got some things online, but I haven't really checked its online offerings too much, other than the news on the web. Of course, I get U.S. PBS on my satellite feed; it's ubiquitous on cable up here.

Same with TVO (TV Ontario)

Oz has free to air.
ABC - taxpayer funded
SBS - hybrid funded (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Broadcasting_Service)
Channel 9 - now a network
Channel 10 - now a network
Channel 7 - now a network.

Each of the networks has regional free to air sub channels. The numbers refer to the old clunk clunk dial positions, ABC was Channel 2, and SBS Channel 3.

Probably 90% of our TV time is one of the 4 SBS channels.

We had Pay TV for a year...better off buying a discovery DVD series than paying for another 20+ channels of junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back