Paypal fraud

I had two fraudulent money request on my Paypal account in the last two weeks. I get an email saying to call the number within 24 hours. I get a lot of fake Paypal emails so I logged in to my account and the fraudulent request in on my profile. I called the number and it took forever to get through. It kept disconnecting on me. I talked to ” Bob” in India and he noted the fraud and told me to change my password. I did all that and another $500 fraudulent request showed up today. I called the number and it sounded like some guy was sitting on his couch in Mumbai watching TV and answering the phone. For a large financial company, you would think they would have a more professional customer service call center. He said he will set up a two step log in to block the fraud. I already have to put a code in that they send me every time I log in. I use Payal for most of my online transactions because they always claim their security over just using a credit card. These two fraudulent transactions and calling Mumbai, Kentucky just doesn’t sit right with me. I think I will close my account with them. What’s your take on Paypal?

He said he will set up a two step log in to block the fraud. I already have to put a code in that they send me every time I log in.
If you have to put in a one-time code with every log-in, then you already have 2-step log-in. That should prevent anyone from logging in to your account because the one-time use code will come either by email or text to your phone depending how it's setup.

Does someone actually have to log-in to your PayPal account to request a payment? Think all they need is you PayPal user name/email or whatever IDs you on PayPal.

Phishing email.... could be causing your own problems.

I've never had to call paypal. All issues have be resolved thru their website.
You’re probably right. After doing some research, scammers are creating paypal accounts and sending request to people. Then the email you receive is an actual paypal email.

Plenty of scammers out there. I do not believe PayPal or Venmo will send you any emails at all asking for personal information. These phishing scammers are always trying to obtain your name and password. They start out with some sort of false charge such as someone buying a laptop for $13,000 on your account and they act as if they are in the fraud department when actually they are the fraudulent party. Never give any information over an email asking for your information. Go to the actual site such as PayPal, Venmo, Amazon etc. and sign in with your own credentials instead of them asking you for your sign on info. I hope this makes sense.

Everything I buy on Ebay is with Paypal and it's a convenient way to pay for something and have an additional layer of protection.
I had two fraudulent money request on my Paypal account in the last two weeks. I get an email saying to call the number within 24 hours.
What do you mean fraudulent? Anybody that knows or guesses your email can send you a money request. Just ignore it. Why would you bother calling somebody for that? No different than the emails I get saying the $600 item I bought on Amazon will be shipped in 24 hours and if I want to cancel I should call this number.

On my paypal account, it says to contact them within 24 hours to report this request. The phone number on the email and the website is the same. I made sure it was before I called them. This is the first time I received these money request on Paypal. It’s fraudulent because I have not done business with this person or know this person.

They put the website's phone number in the email to make it look more legitimate. You don't have to know them or have done business with him. They get your email address from mailing lists or algorithms. It's like all the fake or legit charities that ask you for money. Can't blame Paypal for that, anymore than you can blame Facebook Marketplace for having $1,200 2015 Honda Accords listed.

I had two fraudulent money request on my Paypal account in the last two weeks. I get an email saying to call the number within 24 hours. I get a lot of fake Paypal emails so I logged in to my account and the fraudulent request in on my profile. I called the number and it took forever to get through. It kept disconnecting on me. I talked to ” Bob” in India and he noted the fraud and told me to change my password. I did all that and another $500 fraudulent request showed up today. I called the number and it sounded like some guy was sitting on his couch in Mumbai watching TV and answering the phone. For a large financial company, you would think they would have a more professional customer service call center. He said he will set up a two step log in to block the fraud. I already have to put a code in that they send me every time I log in. I use Payal for most of my online transactions because they always claim their security over just using a credit card. These two fraudulent transactions and calling Mumbai, Kentucky just doesn’t sit right with me. I think I will close my account with them. What’s your take on Paypal?
I may be paranoid, but it sounds to me like maybe you talked to the scammer via telephone.

No one can take money from you unless you manually transfer it to them. From here on out, just delete fake PayPal emails and move on down the road. (y)

I may be paranoid, but it sounds to me like maybe you talked to the scammer via telephone.

No one can take money from you unless you manually transfer it to them. From here on out, just delete fake PayPal emails and move on down the road. (y)
The OP has been scammed. The changes he made on the fake "paypal site" will now be used on the real one.

I logged onto the real paypal site and the request was there. The phone number from the real paypal site and the email was the same. I did change my password already.

I logged onto the real paypal site and the request was there. The phone number from the real paypal site and the email was the same. I did change my password already.
FJ,

You are being subject to a scam. The same exact email came to me two weeks ago. I went to work and called the 800 number from an unused ine, very quickly I realized it was a scam. Same people you spoke to I spoke to.

Just delete the request from paypal. What likely happened is the scammers broke into a account that you sent money to on a prior transaction, so they know who you are.

Everything I buy on Ebay is with Paypal and it's a convenient way to pay for something and have an additional layer of protection.

What do you mean fraudulent? Anybody that knows or guesses your email can send you a money request. Just ignore it. Why would you bother calling somebody for that? No different than the emails I get saying the $600 item I bought on Amazon will be shipped in 24 hours and if I want to cancel I should call this number.

People must have way more free time than I do. If I called a customer support line every time I got a spam/suspect E-mail, I'd have no time at all, or would get old and die holding the telephone while still on hold.

To OP: hit delete and move on. Nobody can take money from you, but they can convince you to either A) send it or B) give up valuable info that lets them do it themselves. Don't give them the opportunity to do either.

If you have an E-mail provider that allows you to report spam E-mails, do that for the super phishy ones, like the distant prince in Ecuador that you're related to that wants $500 to send you a half million. But in this case, a Paypal request comes from Paypal directly so just delete. Takes less than a second.

Had the same phishing e-mail a couple of weeks ago. It claimed my PayPal account had been used for illegal activity and was going to be billed $499.99, but I could dispute the charge by calling this number, yadda yadda. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night, so I simply deleted the e-mail.

A week later I reviewed my PayPal account by directly logging into the PayPal site, and the scammers had actually placed a request for the $499.99 pending my action. Of course I cancelled it. That is exactly what the site says to do with such scams. No further problems.

If you've received a phishing e-mail, after deleting it, go to the actual PayPal site yourself (not by following any link) and make sure any pending request from the phishing is cancelled.

Back