Pathfinder tires? vs. Dunlops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner and do mostly highway driving. I'm needing new tires. Has anyone purchased Pathfinder tires from Discount Tire? It is their house brand. Any opinions on these? Anyone know who makes them? Also, they have a Dunlop tire for about the same price but I've heard iffy things about Dunlop.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:

$104/each
Pathfinder Sport SUV
P265/70R-16 111S OWL (15659)
UTQG: 520AB
Speed Rating: SR

OR
$94/each
Dunlop Radial Rover A/T
P265/70R-16 111S (28246)
UTQG: 500AB
Speed Rating: SR

What do you guys think?

I've done a little additional research and it looks like the Pathfinder tires sold my Discount Tire are made by Kelly-Springfield. I've heard of this company, but don't know much about their products.

How do their warranties compare?

I have had bad luck with Dunlop car tires...don't know anything about their truck stuff. However One might go with a name-brand over a house-brand, as the first is less expensive.

I have had good luck with Kumho. If it were me, I'd get some Kumhos from The Tire Rack and pay a shop about $60 to install/balance them.

I'm not sure about the warranties. I'll hafta call and check on that. I would guess they are similar sionce the UTQG ratings are similar--but that is not always the case. The UTQG on the Kumho Venture HT ($104 apiece shipped) is only 440. So, it doesn't look like they would wear as long. Also, the Discount Tire price includes lifetime balance/rotation/road hazzard which is a pretty good deal. That's why I'm thinking about staying with them.

I have the Radial Rover AT's on my Dakota, but I got them on Sale at Sear's with a friends employee discout for $62/tire so they were pretty **** cheap. I really liked them the first 15-20K miles, but they wore quickly at first but have now leveled out. They are an alright tire, with pretty good mud & snow performance, though snow won't be much of an issue for you. Nice highway ride and low noise for an AT, however you will not get the rated mileage out of these tires. My buddy had the Pathfinders on his S-10 and didn't like them so I cannot endorse them. Since you drive mostly highway, why not just get a nice AS like the Firestone Destination LE, or something similar?

I'm also considering either the Pathfinder SUV vs BF Goodrich Long Trail for my Yukon. The BFG tires have a $50 rebate right now and overall are cheaper - net around $500.

Found a few opinions at eOpinion.com thayt were not very favorable of the Pathfinder, but not enough for me (I think most happy people don't really say anything).

Remember to really pay attention and compare similar sized vehicles to the one you own. Some tires seem to get excellent reviews with a lighter truck application, but poorer reviews with a heavier truck application--just something to keep in mind.

Lobo I have noticed that in the TireRack reviews. For example on the BFG Long Trail, the pickup and large SUV reviews were very favorable. The Nissan Exterra reviews were not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back