Part supply issues even with domestics

There are many service bulletins...............
It was a public interest bulletin. The spring on the tensioner guide is to short and it causes a hole to be wore into the oil pump. It's literally common enough that GM said " hey you should know this"

It would be very difficult to find an engine with less than 80k miles on it at pick in pull. It happens probably but yeah it'll be hard. I wish we could try and oil pump but for liability reasons we are scared to do it and the customer still has issues. He drove a couple miles with zero oil pressure.
yes I can see the liability there. At least with a wreck you know it was on the road & viable. But you can't ask a paying customer to trust it. lol.

oil pump. $45. an engine would be around $220. at a Pik n' Pull, gotta check their inventory day-by-day to snag one too. : (
It's 2022 & Life is Hard.

There are no L83 engines at a Pick n' Pull yard that are in better shape than the engine in the truck. Pick n' Pull yards (At least here)...Are the overflow of old/low demand vehicles & parts from inventory controlled wreaking yards, With the core value of a buildable L83 being pretty high....I doubt one will be going for $220 any time soon.

There are no L83 engines at a Pick n' Pull yard that are in better shape than the engine in the truck. Pick n' Pull yards (At least here)...Are the overflow of old/low demand vehicles & parts from inventory controlled wreaking yards, With the core value of a buildable L83 being pretty high....I doubt one will be going for $220 any time soon.
I can see that too. it may be time to go up market to LKQ.

Rock auto

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-040520.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-040520.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 14
Rock auto
This doesn't fix the internal engine damage that has likely been caused by running this engine with zero oil pressure. It's all a lot of labor. Of we went this route and engine failed the customer would be pissed rightly so.

This doesn't fix the internal engine damage that has likely been caused by running this engine with zero oil pressure. It's all a lot of labor. Of we went this route and engine failed the customer would be pissed rightly so.
You didn't say it was ran with no oil pressure. I assumed the lifters got noisey and they shut it down before anything major happened. I have seen engines go many years after the lifters got noisey and the problem was fixed. While others didn't. Do you need to pull the pan to change the pump or only the timing cover? May be Worth the time to pull the pan and a couple rod caps to see. That will tell you if it's wrecked or not.

You didn't say it was ran with no oil pressure. I assumed the lifters got noisey and they shut it down before anything major happened. I have seen engines go many years after the lifters got noisey and the problem was fixed. While others didn't. Do you need to pull the pan to change the pump or only the timing cover? May be Worth the time to pull the pan and a couple rod caps to see. That will tell you if it's wrecked or not.
It's hours and hours of labor that may not be to his benefit. If he wants us to tear into then we will send it to one of our bigger locations to do so but your talking 15+ hours of labor and possibly nothing to show for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-12-18-35-56-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-12-18-35-56-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 10
A quick peek at car-part shows my local yards asking ~$3k for a 100k mile unit. Eh.

GMPartsDirect.com lists a 3 year/100k mile warranted factory rebuilt unit for $4,800. To me, that's a no brainer.

It's hours and hours of labor that may not be to his benefit. If he wants us to tear into then we will send it to one of our bigger locations to do so but your talking 15+ hours of labor and possibly nothing to show for it.
You can't pull the oil pan? I have not been under a Chevy truck that new. Our older Tahoe was easy.

What's up with that labor number? Did you say "frame off"? 😁

I haven't looked since greed shifted into overdrive over the past year but low mileage used engines may be more common than you think. I was able to find an 86k mile engine for my '07 three years ago. It's wrecked vehicles these engines come from.

Blue Print or ATK?

Hmm looks like neither offer a direct replacement… looks like Chevrolet performance will sell you a 6.2.

Might be time to get into it abd see if his can be built…
ATK is absolute garbage. I have had 7 bad motors, 4 bad transfer cases and 2 bad transmissions - completely unnacceptable and you gotta fight for warranty. My shop refuses to use them anymore.

Nothing surprises me anymore, the world has gone bonkers and you know that's true when you cannot get parts for a Chevrolet. Even Mercedes-Benz, who were able to supply parts for any of their vehicles going way back in time, can no longer supply parts anymore.

A quick peek at car-part shows my local yards asking ~$3k for a 100k mile unit. Eh.

GMPartsDirect.com lists a 3 year/100k mile warranted factory rebuilt unit for $4,800. To me, that's a no brainer.
The issue with the online parts houses that are dealer fronts is the system is setup to show everything is in stock. Then once they have your money they tell you that is either on backorder or obsolete. I get calls weekly from the different e-commerce companies that try to get us to sign up for the program, but I have no interest. We barely have enough manpower to cover our in person business. Plus a lot of those companies want you to agree to take returns past your normal timeframe and that were purchased from other dealerships on the same program.

Back