Part supply issues even with domestics

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3l in our shop. 82k miles and the oil pump quit. Engine runs but makes quite the racket. I started looking for a replacement option for the engine. GM dealers cannot get them apparently.....seems crazy to me. Jasper will sell us one by 8/1 but doesn't come with any gaskets expect oil and timing cover it is $4,000 plus 32 hours labor...... That seems crazy to me I don't understand why labor calls for so much. I cannot believe the oil pump failed either it's all just a little crazy. The customer said he had routine oil changes. The truck is relatively clean and looks like he took care of it. Very sad situation for him. Even crazier than the Chevy dealer cannot get a 5.3l Chevy engine......the world is going down the tubes it seems. Crazy world we live in nowadays.

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3l in our shop. 82k miles and the oil pump quit. Engine runs but makes quite the racket. I started looking for a replacement option for the engine. GM dealers cannot get them apparently.....seems crazy to me. Jasper will sell us one by 8/1 but doesn't come with any gaskets expect oil and timing cover it is $4,000 plus 32 hours labor...... That seems crazy to me I don't understand why labor calls for so much. I cannot believe the oil pump failed either it's all just a little crazy. The customer said he had routine oil changes. The truck is relatively clean and looks like he took care of it. Very sad situation for him. Even crazier than the Chevy dealer cannot get a 5.3l Chevy engine......the world is going down the tubes it seems. Crazy world we live in nowadays.
There are numerous sources for crate motors. I find it hard to believe you can't find one. Many are rebuilt in house so they should be available. There are always going to be repairs that are outliers that happens-it's life.

There are numerous sources for crate motors. I find it hard to believe you can't find one. Many are rebuilt in house so they should be available. There are always going to be repairs that are outliers that happens-it's life.
It's apparently not an outlier it's somewhat common....which is even more sad

Any chance of a used engine? Wrecked GM pickups (& vans) seem to be all over the boneyards.
The customer didn't want a used engine. He was clear on that so I didn't look. I may look Monday though and see if he changes his tune. I'd rather have a used oem engine than a new Jasper. I'd deleted the afm garbage though. Apparently there is a tensioner with a spring that is to short that wears a hole in the oil pump. I had it pulled up yesterday in all data. It's a somewhat common issues supposedly.

It's apparently not an outlier it's somewhat common....which is even more sad

Really? GM sells over 40,000 units a month of Silverado/Sierra combined in a "normal market". This problem does not manifest itself to any massive degree on the three truck boards I frequent. Our vehicles on these boards have millions upon millions of miles combined. Maybe you should try facts instead of opinion.

Any chance of a used engine? Wrecked GM pickups (& vans) seem to be all over the boneyards.
This would be the route that I would go. The auto dismantlers (at least the larger ones in the midwest) are cleaning up right now supplying parts.

I have never scene the demand for used parts, as strong as it is now.

Really? GM sells over 40,000 units a month of Silverado/Sierra combined in a "normal market". This problem does not manifest itself to any massive degree on the three truck boards I frequent. Our vehicles on these boards have millions upon millions of miles combined. Maybe you should try facts instead of opinion.
Uhhh it's literally a service bulletin that's about as factual as it gets hass. 😂😂😂

That is a smoking deal on a new engine. I'll take a truck load of them. :)
oil pump. $45. an engine would be around $220. at a Pik n' Pull, gotta check their inventory day-by-day to snag one too. : (
It's 2022 & Life is Hard.

oil pump. $45. an engine would be around $220. at a Pik n' Pull, gotta check their inventory day-by-day to snag one too. : (
It's 2022 & Life is Hard.
It would be very difficult to find an engine with less than 80k miles on it at pick in pull. It happens probably but yeah it'll be hard. I wish we could try and oil pump but for liability reasons we are scared to do it and the customer still has issues. He drove a couple miles with zero oil pressure.

Blue Print or ATK?

Hmm looks like neither offer a direct replacement… looks like Chevrolet performance will sell you a 6.2.

Might be time to get into it abd see if his can be built…

Last edited:
Back