part recommendations for changing pads and rotors

Hi all,

I have a 2018 Equinox with 22k miles. The rear rotors are pretty deeply grooved and need to be changed. Apparently this is a known issues with these vehicles. I'm looking at getting Akebono Proact pads and Powerstop EVC rotors. Is this a good combo?
The front pads and rotors are still in good shape. Is there any point in changing them if we're upgrading the rears, or should we just wait until they go bad?

Thanks!

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

You can just wait until they go bad, which they shouldn't be at only 22k and 3 years.

When it is time to replace them, the Akebono pads and Powerstop rotor combo is a great choice :)

Hi all,

I have a 2018 Equinox with 22k miles. The rear rotors are pretty deeply grooved and need to be changed. Apparently this is a known issues with these vehicles. I'm looking at getting Akebono Proact pads and Powerstop EVC rotors. Is this a good combo?
The front pads and rotors are still in good shape. Is there any point in changing them if we're upgrading the rears, or should we just wait until they go bad?

Thanks!
I’d wait and just do the parts that need to be changed. You’re unlikely not to find outrageous improvements in performance over OEM parts on a car like this anyways so you’re just throwing away money. Surprised the rears are shot that quickly. I usually get 60-100,000 miles on a set of rears different car though.

At just 22K, the pads should still have plenty of life left. Unless there is shudder or noise when braking, grooves shouldn't affect braking performance.
According to the dealer the braking performance is reduced. Not sure how true this is though. The only reason it went to the dealer in the first place was for a warranty issue with the sunroof.

Service advisor works on commission so the more service he sells, the more he makes.
+1

Have you noticed an issue with braking? (Before the service manager happened to point it out while working on a sunroof issue?)

If the braking feels good, and the pads have life left, why spend money you do not have to?

Grooves in the rotor would not bother me... as others have said, if the car stops well and quietly, and the pads have life left, there is no issue.

+1

Have you noticed an issue with braking?

If the braking feels good, and the pads have life left, why spend money you do not have to?

Grooves in the rotor would not bother me... as others have said, if the car stops well and quietly, and the pads have life left, there is no issue.
Braking feels fine. According to the inspection report pads are at 4 and 6.

I usually start thinking about pad replacement at 3-4mm...

I would leave the front alone, slap on some good new rear pads only, and observe.
I've heard some people say that pads and rotors should be replaced together, and others have said this is not necessary. Is there a consensus on this?

I would not put new pads on top of rotors with a huge groove. I have seen what you are talking about on the rear brakes of Equinoxes/Terrains. I personally would just run the pads down and then replace the pads and rotors. The grooves are already there and unless the groove wears through the rotor, it should be fine. Akebonos will be a good choice for the rear of this vehicle.

My TourX has the same rear brakes and my rear pads still are almost 10mm after 32k miles. I get some mild squealing in the morning but I'm just going to ignore it until the pads wear out.

I would not put new pads on top of rotors with a huge groove. I have seen what you are talking about on the rear brakes of Equinoxes/Terrains. I personally would just run the pads down and then replace the pads and rotors. The grooves are already there and unless the groove wears through the rotor, it should be fine. Akebonos will be a good choice for the rear of this vehicle.

My TourX has the same rear brakes and my rear pads still are almost 10mm after 32k miles. I get some mild squealing in the morning but I'm just going to ignore it until the pads wear out.
Have you been able to figure out what causes the grooves? Stuck caliper?

Have you been able to figure out what causes the grooves? Stuck caliper?
Something with the OEM pad design would be my guess. GM revised the part number in 2020 to replace them with a pad that costs $120 rather than the usual $60-$75. There was a TSB outlining the fix if you had rear brake squeal that applied to the Equinox, Terrain, Malibu, and LaCrosse to replace the rear pads and rotors.

Something with the OEM pad design would be my guess. GM revised the part number in 2020 to replace them with a pad that costs $120 rather than the usual $60-$75. There was a TSB outlining the fix if you had rear brake squeal that applied to the Equinox, Terrain, Malibu, and LaCrosse to replace the rear pads and rotors.
Awesome. I just had a pretty huge fight with the dealer trying to get them to replace them under warranty - they wouldn't budge.

I've heard some people say that pads and rotors should be replaced together, and others have said this is not necessary. Is there a consensus on this?
Not necessary at all. Sure, some people think it has to be done but it absolutely doesn't. You shouldn't replace the pads/rotor on one wheel only, always replace both on the axle together.

Awesome. I just had a pretty huge fight with the dealer trying to get them to replace them under warranty - they wouldn't budge.
Here is the TSB. GM will generally only replace brakes within the first 12 months or 12 thousand miles unless they have a bulletin with special coverage. If you can get them to replace them under this TSB you might be in luck. You have squealing when stopping at startup, don't you?

Attachments

• Equinox Brake Squeal.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 10
Here is the TSB. GM will generally only replace brakes within the first 12 months or 12 thousand miles unless they have a bulletin with special coverage. If you can get them to replace them under this TSB you might be in luck. You have squealing when stopping at startup, don't you?
Awesome, thank you! No I don't have squealing that I can hear, just very bad looking deep grooves.

Back