Can I get away with just doing a pad slap?

Update: Did the pad slap. Car stops fine with no odd noises.

I was surprised at how crusty the calipers and caliper brackets were for a 2018 car. At this rate, I wonder if the calipers will by seized by the time of the next brake job lol #SaltBeltLife

Also, does Hyundai use Sil-Glyde on the caliper pins at the factory? The original grease was yellow like Sil-Glyde.

Last edited:
Also, does Hyundai use Sil-Glyde on the caliper pins at the factory? The original grease was yellow like Sil-Glyde.
I just did brakes on a Genesis G80 - seems to be similar to Toyota Rubber Grease or Niglube RX2 that Subaru and Honda are fond of. Hyundai says use silicone grease, I used Toyota Rubber Grease.

There’s a naked steel shim that goes on top of the rubberized shim, so I put on a dab of Permatex High-Temp Silicone moly brake lube between them and Permatex Purple on the backs of the pad support clips.

I would have done a pad slap with OE Hyundai pads if the brakes weren’t down to the wear indicators - the backs were at the 80% worn mark. The fronts were gone - any machining would have introduced run-out. The local machine shop’s lathe introduced a bit of run-out when I had them machine some Toyota rotors.

I decided to use DFC pads and rotors.

Back