Parking brake shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to replace the parking brake shoes on the CRV. The brake pads are about half way worn so pads and new rotor are going to be added as well. For the shoes do you guys recommend getting a brake drum tool to remove the clips and springs? This would be my first time working on this setup.

Thanks

Half worn pads on the rear is plenty left to be replaced, I would leave it on for another 20-30k miles, at the very least 15k miles.

Parking shoes usually lasted more than 150-200k miles, unless you engage parking brake while the car was moving many times. My 21 years old 370+k miles LS400 still has original parking shoes, same for my 150+k miles E430.

Last edited:
The parking brake shoes on my 03 4Runner are there to make noise if you ever drive off with the parking brake on. Their main function is to turn on a small red light on the dash. Other than that they are useless.

Waste of money.

2 or 3 different good quality pliers will get it done better. One of them should be a genuine Vise-Grips.

A lot of modern drum brake setups don't even use the same type of fasteners that the special tool is made for.

Don't forget to wear safety glasses.

+another on what everyone is saying about "are you sure they need replacement". We only change them for customers when they have fallen apart from moisture or heat, and they usually only fell apart because they had been previously replaced with poorly re-lined shoes.

Clips and springs can often be man-handled by a set of needle-nose pliers. The one silly pin that has a circular retaining clip and very strong spring underneath to retain the shoes, that does need at least a socket and large C-clamp to compress.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Sure they need replacing? They do not get a lot of use.

I've been through this road before. Confirmed they are worn. No room for adjustment.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Don't forget to wear safety glasses.

Really good advice, it only takes one spring to slip and fly off to ruin you eye sight.

We bought it 4 years ago certified used with 55K. Fast forward to today when the parking brake went to the floor. Since owning it the rear brakes never been touched. I'm 100% sure the wife didn't ride the parking brake.

They don't normally wear. Somebody left the brake on.
whistle.gif

I always prepare myself to replace the parking brake shoes whenever I service the rear brakes. Sometimes it is impossible to remove the brake disc without damaging the brake shoes.

As long as the brake shoes are never contaminated with oil, grease, or brake fluid, they shouldn't need replacement.

Assuming this is a rotor hat parking brake (rear disk brakes), have you tried to get the rear rotors off?

To me, that's more than half the battle when working on this style P-brake. Hondas are usually not to bad w/ threaded holes for push off points and access to star-wheel adjusters.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've ever heard them referred to as 'parking brake shoes' but as has been stated repeatedly it is surprising they are in need of replacement if they are in fact drum brakes. I've driven a car to 250k and sold it with the original rear brake shoes. Have you removed the drums? Because the parking brake going to the floor isn't a tell tale sign of it must be time to replace the brake shoes.

Only time I've had to replace parking brake shoes was when a friend started off in my '60 Dodge with the parking brake on. He thought it was a bit down on power! The brake let loose with an awful bang, and as I recall tore the pads right off. New pads put it right as rain.

The parking brake on a '60 Dodge is on the drive shaft. Replacing the pads was a miserable job in a cold, work camp parking lot, without ramps and with only a few tools.

In retrospect I have to wonder how effective a drive shaft parking brake would be on a car with an open differential (as mine was). Presumably if you lift one rear wheel the car can roll if the raised wheel simply counter rotates.

And by the way, do use safety glasses. I know of too many people who've lost an eye removing springs of various kinds.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Assuming this is a rotor hat parking brake (rear disk brakes), have you tried to get the rear rotors off?

To me, that's more than half the battle when working on this style P-brake. Hondas are usually not to bad w/ threaded holes for push off points and access to star-wheel adjusters.

The rotors come off pretty easily.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Hate to agg it on ARB, but, isn't there some kind of adjustment?

There is. Soft adjustment is done on the parking brake, major adjustment is done on the brake itself. Both adjustments on the rear are set as far as it will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back