Lexus RX300 Parking brake not working on one side

Decided to replace the parking brake shoes as full maintenance on the rear brake system along with new pads and rotors.
One corner had basically no friction material on the top portion of the brake shoe, I thought maybe it was just lubrication issue or my dad forgot to release the parking brake.

After painfully assembling it with new brake shoes and adjusted the star wheel to shortest length, I could not put new rotor on. I grind and lubricated all the contact points.
It was off by 2-3mm at the top and I tried wiggling the shoes to set them better, no go.

It was getting late, needed the car for today, I swapped everything back to old brake shoes just to put the new rotor/pads on.
I did not see the brake shoes move when I engaged the parking brake and also the cable going to that side seems tight even when parking brake is disengaged.
It's one of those cable with a horseshoe shape that pulls 2 cables(each rear corner) that I guess distributes the tension.

I did notice some rust where the parking brake cable was coming through the dust shield.
Maybe the cable rusted there?
Is there some bolts holding the cable there that I can loosen or just spray penetrating oil through all the cable openings and hope it moves?

I looked at the service manual and don't see an actual section showing the removal of the cable from the dust shield.
I want some opinion/suggestion before I try again on the weekend as it's really time consuming to put back the parking shoe assembly(I did it twice to accomplish nothing
pat.gif
)

It sounds like you need a new cable, what year is the RX? Usually, the cable bolts in FROM BEHIND the backing plate with two bolts.

I'm wondering the metal sleeve on cable is stationary since it's bolted to dust shield?

That means something is seized within the cable tube then.

Possibly, and being a 2001, it's probable. My 2003 Highlander had a sticking cable and IIRC, it was the RR. It looks like you're on the right track.

Possibly, and being a 2001, it's probable. My 2003 Highlander had a sticking cable and IIRC, it was the RR. It looks like you're on the right track.
Mine is LR.
Was your seized due to rust or something?
Did you replace the cable yourself?

I'm sensing the cable won't be cheap.

Actually, now that you mention it, maybe it was LR and I never replaced it, I left it alone. The cable's about $30.

Back