Parking a vehicle for at least 3 months

UPDATE #7

I found a local garage to replace the already purchased alternator and serpentine belt this morning. Ironically the shop had a Toyota in for a seized alternator, also from sitting. On my way there I was surprised how well the vehicle drove with the rusty rotors, no pulsation and quiet. I was also pleased to find out that there were no flat spots on the Michelins but the low tire pressure icon did illuminate. After the repair, on the way home I heard what sounded like a large rock in my left front tire, but when I stopped to have a look, it picked up a partial wheel nut tin cap while at the shop. Unfortunately, the CEL also came on and the A/C would not work. I did a visual inspection of the A/C parts and nothing abnormal was to note. I wonder if an o-ring dried up while sitting because it did work before I parked it or, the compressor connector got bumped while the alternator was being installed. Tomorrow I will head over to return the alternator core and get it scanned for codes.

Last edited:
UPDATE #8

I returned the alternator core this morning and had the ECU scanned for codes while I was there. A P2422 (EVAP CVS Stuck Closed) code was present so, I will begin looking into that a little later tonight. I checked the fuses and relay for the A/C and they're OK, so Monday I will take it in to have it looked at. I also finished vacuuming the seats and the interior one more time.

UPDATE #9

I picked up the Honda today from a local shop that performed an A/C system diagnosis. After a recovery, vacuum and recharge, the system was still not blowing cold air, so the shop owner called to the tell me that a TXV is required.

Thermal Expansion Valve. It controls the flow of refrigerant to the evap.. It's part of the evaporator behind the dash. I know when I did the whole entire replacement of my a/c on the civic, I replaced the version mine has.

also.. has the shop also recommended replacing the a/c drier? Anytime my a/c system has been opened I always replace it. Went with the aftermarket it's just a big desiccant, cheaper than Honda too. I think mine was from 4 Seasons.

Well, I'm back in sunny SoFLo and our Honda has stopped blowing cold air again. After the initial diagnosis of a faulty TXV in August, I had the Honda delivered to the local dealer, suspecting an incorrect diagnosis for a faulty TXV, for an A/C system inspection in November. No fault was found and the system was recharged without incident until now(y). A quick visual inspection, and I notice some oil stains and dye in the area of the compressor hose connections. Thankfully the compressor is engaging and therefore, I may invest in a can of R134 and dispenser to top off the system.

Just to update the other issue I was having, a P2422, my testing in January revealed a faulty charcoal canister and I replaced it with a used one (last one in Canada) and no more P2422, new ones were on backorder and expensive!

Last edited:
Topped up the A/C today and it works great. Now, let's see for how long, because I would like to have the oil stains investigated.

Last edited:
We arrived in not so sunny SoFlo on Boxing day and it was damp, 15c and raining. Yesterday, the Honda started without a hiccup but we had no heat and whoever put it in storage 4 months ago, did not fill the fuel tank :mad: , I always fill the tank when I do it. I quickly suspected a stuck blend door actuator from sitting too long. I reached under the dash and helped the actuator along, success(y).

Tires were a little low, the TPMS icon was lit, so today while at Costco, I topped up the tires. Coscto now has free self serve tire inflators outside and there was a line up as they opened for business this morning. We went in, shopped and then as my wife checked out, I went back to the tire inflators to have a look, no line up. While I waited for one of the two inflators to become available, it was clear that the users needed help, so I asked, and they obliged. After helping both users and then filling my own tires, we were on our way home.
IMG_3324.jpeg

UPDATE #7

I found a local garage to replace the already purchased alternator and serpentine belt this morning. Ironically the shop had a Toyota in for a seized alternator, also from sitting. On my way there I was surprised how well the vehicle drove with the rusty rotors, no pulsation and quiet. I was also pleased to find out that there were no flat spots on the Michelins but the low tire pressure icon did illuminate. After the repair, on the way home I heard what sounded like a large rock in my left front tire, but when I stopped to have a look, it picked up a partial wheel nut tin cap while at the shop. Unfortunately, the CEL also came on and the A/C would not work. I did a visual inspection of the A/C parts and nothing abnormal was to note. I wonder if an o-ring dried up while sitting because it did work before I parked it or, the compressor connector got bumped while the alternator was being installed. Tomorrow I will head over to return the alternator core and get it scanned for codes.
I hadn’t tracked this thread. Are you letting the alternator charge the battery when you start the car the first time after sitting?

IMO that’s a big no no and will cause alternator failure. It’s been said that alternators are for topping off a battery, not charging one. If you don’t charge the battery before starting, you’ll do your alternator in.

Same with AC. My old Mercedes said to run the R-12 AC at least once a month to ensure the oil circulates and the orings and hoses stay sealed. Those old systems had lesser quality orings and non-barrier hoses so they relied upon the oils to help keep the system sealed. Newer R-134a systems use barrier hose and better orings, but IMO there’s still something to be said about running the system often.

Vehicle will be in an apartment building parking garage. Any suggestions? This is the first time I've had to do this.

So far I have installed a new battery and a quick disconnect on the ground cable. I don't think I'm allowed to use the nearby electrical outlets for a minder.

I will clean the interior and wash the exterior. Should I apply anything to the exterior paint? The location is along the ocean coast and the covered garage is open to outside.

I will over inflate the tires, fill the fuel tank and plug the tail pipe.

Am I going overboard? Do I need a fuel stabilizer too?

BTW, the engine oil only has about 3k kms on it.

Am I forgetting something?

Thanks in advance.
Throw a bag of mothballs in the car and another under the hood to deter mouses.

I haven't used the A/C since my last visit (August 2022) and it wasn't blowing cold when I tried it last night, so I topped it up again. I'm going to have the dealer replace the o-rings for the compressor hoses, recharge it, and a diff service too.

Yesterday I took the brakes apart during the "excessive heat alert" in SoFlo, because the LF wheel was hot after a drive. They were sticking from sitting since March, but I worked under a canopy outside our parking garage which made it bearable. I cleaned and lubed the pads but it wasn't good enough, so today I had to remove them again and ground off the rust; it's hard when you don't have all the right tools.
I did a rear pad slap and I also topped off the A/C again, plus a can of oil charge for good measure.

Back