Parked Cars And Leaking Tires

Tires get leaks too, but alloys are horrible for bead corrosion, often there’s not enough grinding & sealant to stop it, here in the Rust Belt. The colder weather contributes too, unless you’re a Colts fan (Deflategate reference!)!

If as you state in your title, do you hear them leaking or "assume" they are leaking because you see corrosion?
You may be seeing total lack of maintenance and just low on air.
The corrosion isn't visible until you remove the tire. The tire doesn't have a nail in it either but needs refilling every two weeks and the others dont

Are you talking about junk cars that are parked without movement for months at a time?

Yeah they probably have junk wheels that corroded at the bead interface. If the whole car shows age, so would its parts.

And they have owners that ignore them because they're going to deal with it "later." Plenty of beaters get weekly tire top offs, that's why they have air machines at gas stations.

I keep my cars a long time here in the rust belt so I have a bit of experience with this problem. Nearly all my cars develop this problem. Corrosion at the wheel bead sets in and provides an air leak. Wheels develop this problem at around the 15 year mark. Doesn't matter if they're steel or alloy rims, both will develop corrosion. Diagnosis by using soapy water will show extremely slow foaming at the wheel/tire bead interface.

My fix is to remove the tire from the rim and sandblast the corrosion from the bead surface. The corrosion easily comes off. Follow with a good primer and repaint and you're back in business.

My boat and trailer have been in one of the boat dealers boat yards for a year and now one new tire has a slow leak. How did it get that way? Who should repair the leak?

My boat and trailer have been in one of the boat dealers boat yards for a year and now one new tire has a slow leak. How did it get that way? Who should repair the leak?
First questions answer. I don't know, it's your boat trailer.
Second questions answer. Your call, it's your boat trailer.

Back