Leaky Tire From Corrosion

So I had this Leaky Tire that I took in to have fixed . Tire shop said it was from Corrosion around the Wheel so they ground it off and whatever else they do . Well today the low tire light came on and it had 20 psi , which is 15 psi under what the shop put in . It took 10 days to lose all that pressure . How common is it that the wheel is so badly corroded that it will always leak ?

very common for the first part...
I can only imagine the latter may happen with as much as i've heard them grinding on my wheels in the past...( some times what seemed like 20 min on one wheel) that shop also liberally applied black seam/bead sealer after the grindathon...

15lb in 10 days.. is findable.. they can usually use a bead sealer to make it nearly leakproof.. ie a couple lbs a month.
use some dish soap in water..

Not even a full bottle of slime did any good....
Accent rusty leaking wheel.jpg

I just replaced the 4 steel wheels($285 from Walmart S&D) for my daughter's winter tires. 2 wheels were leaking air right through the steel and the other 2 were most likely not far behind. I kept the tires as there is still 6-7/32nds on them and just replaced the steelies($130 transferred over to the new steelies w/RFB). $415 total cost and they'll last many more winters.

So I had this Leaky Tire that I took in to have fixed . Tire shop said it was from Corrosion around the Wheel so they ground it off and whatever else they do . Well today the low tire light came on and it had 20 psi , which is 15 psi under what the shop put in . It took 10 days to lose all that pressure . How common is it that the wheel is so badly corroded that it will always leak ?
Heavily corroded rims often leak. In ten days, it should not have leaked anything. Replace the wheel if air still leaks around the bead.

Last edited:
Not even a full bottle of slime did any good....
View attachment 191760
The leaks are through the rim where the bubbles are? Yikes! new rim time!
I was going to add that you can get leaks around the valve stem too... Although I have temporarily fixed one of those just by letting the air out putting some slime on the outside of the stem and a few drops down the stem and spinning and working it around so the slime can get between the stem and the wheel.
The tires guys I've talked to say they don't work on tires that have been slimed or had a can of stop leak in them?

I had another set of tires and wheels that have been in the shed for the last 5 years. They are good to go, only one was down under 20 psi. Good winter tires though only about 6k miles on them on the steelies. I have been painting them almost every year too.

The bummer or good thing is the OE TPMS sensors are still working after 15 years.

Forget a tube. That's fine for a riding mower or a Model T. Slime will further corrode the rim in short time. I wouldn't even use it for a riding mower tire.

Back