Parked Cars And Leaking Tires

Sounds like a great question for the know it all experts with 16,000 posts on BITOG. I'll make the popcorn

I thought it was just from the air and possibly age of the tires. I guess wheel corrosion is possible though for sure. Yesterday I had to reseal a bead took a die grinder and cleaned up the edges really well and put bead sealer on and no more leaks. And the car wasn’t that old either so I was really surprised I thought maybe the tire had torn around the bead but it was corrosion around the inside edge of the rim.

If the wheels are rusty, would it not be more accurate to say the air was leaking from the wheels?

If the wheels are rusty, would it not be more accurate to say the air was leaking from the wheels?
From the wheels?
I do not think wheels have the air to leak.
Maybe through? Or more likely precisely on wheel/tire interface and that is bead and bead area, AFAIK.
But if wheel is rusted through or cracked then it will leak through in my limited English, not from.

Krzyś

Sorry....No...Exactly what the title says.
If as you state in your title, do you hear them leaking or "assume" they are leaking because you see corrosion?
You may be seeing total lack of maintenance and just low on air.

From the wheels?
I do not think wheels have the air to leak.
Maybe through? Or more likely precisely on wheel/tire interface and that is bead and bead area, AFAIK.
But if wheel is rusted through or cracked then it will leak through in my limited English, not from.

Krzyś
Unless you using tubes, tire seals against wheel. If wheels so rusty it causes leaks, why say the tire is leaking, when clearly it is the wheel leaking?

Unless you using tubes, tire seals against wheel. If wheels so rusty it causes leaks, why say the tire is leaking, when clearly it is the wheel leaking?
Because the tire is rubber and it holds air . The wheel is steel or aluminum.

Back