PAO (up to 70%) in some Lucas Synthetics

This oil is dexos licensed and as far as I can tell, that's the extent of the trust you should put in the oil.
Same as Mobil 1 EP 0W-20, which some consider on here a superior product because of its better base oil (PAO).
Not that any six-pack-and-hot-dog-guy will ever care about the quality of the base oil used.

A buddy of mine uses 5 quarts of 5w20 synthetic and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in his Jeep's Pentastar. Nothing will ever convince him that there is no need for it or value to it. I figure since 80% is a brand name syn, it probably doesn't do any harm, so I say nothing. I haven't even asked him what he thinks it does for his engine. I have, however, shown him UOA's from my Pentastar on 0w20 that show the oil to be in good shape even after 7500 miles. Doesn't faze him.

Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the base oil in LOS?

LOS is apparently 124cSt, which doesn't even appear on J300. For perspective the SAE 60 grade ends at 26.1cSt.

LOS is apparently 124cSt, which doesn't even appear on J300. For perspective the SAE 60 grade ends at 26.1cSt.
They do have a "low viscosity" version that is only 19.7 cst. :ROFLMAO:

They do have a "low viscosity" version that is only 19.7 cst. :ROFLMAO:

All of the addpack diluting goodness and bar oil tackifier with 1/10th of the viscosity boost! Call now and we'll include a free 1oz shot of Windshield Wiper Saver! turns your washer fluid into an incredibly effective miraculous gel! Prolongs wiper life and extends windshield clarity to improve visibility by up to 30 miles!

IMO, it is dishonest to claim that an oil "meets or exceeds" a specification if you or your supplier have not run and passed all of the tests required for that specification. That's the expensive part. If you have run and passed all of the required tests, then approval fees are relatively cheap. If you haven't run and passed all of the required tests, then you have no business claiming the oil "meets or exceeds" the specification.

FYI, the API license application fee is only $4,500 plus 0.7 cents per gallon for volumes sold over one million gallons. A drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars needed to run and pass the engine tests.

API License Fees

Not sure how to take either of these

9836D031-1C0B-404B-AB15-4C220D77FAB9.png
A302A5BB-FF45-4BD2-8A27-B3D254EA0DA6.png

IMO, it is dishonest to claim that an oil "meets or exceeds" a specification if you or your supplier have not run and passed all of the tests required for that specification. That's the expensive part. If you have run and passed all of the required tests, then approval fees are relatively cheap. If you haven't run and passed all of the required tests, then you have no business claiming the oil "meets or exceeds" the specification.

FYI, the API license application fee is only $4,500 plus 0.7 cents per gallon for volumes sold over one million gallons. A drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars needed to run and pass the engine tests.

API License Fees
For VW approval goes around $4,000.
Like you said, they did all testing but cannot shall out $4,000? How yes no!

I would consider using the synthetic oil if it was priced competitively . Not the stabilizer though. STP for an old worn out tractor maybe.

When I see an API starburst, I see an oil restricted in its formulation because of emissions requirements. I couldn't care less for an API logo. I care about what's actually in the oil.

Ideally, you wouldn't want a daily commuter oil to be >50% PAO anyway. Group III will have better additive response, greater solubility, and higher P-V coefficient in the temperature range seen by a daily commuter.

A buddy of mine uses 5 quarts of 5w20 synthetic and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in his Jeep's Pentastar. Nothing will ever convince him that there is no need for it or value to it. I figure since 80% is a brand name syn, it probably doesn't do any harm, so I say nothing. I haven't even asked him what he thinks it does for his engine. I have, however, shown him UOA's from my Pentastar on 0w20 that show the oil to be in good shape even after 7500 miles. Doesn't faze him.

Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the base oil in LOS?

The KV100 of LoS is ~120 cSt. It's just a heavy olefin copolymer (VII) and not the good shear resistant kind either. It contains no additives whatsoever. I think I calculated the profit margin of that stuff at somewhere around 5,000%.

For VW approval goes around $4,000.
Like you said, they did all testing but cannot shall out $4,000? How yes no!

I'd bet it isnt that smple and that there is a per (quantity) surcharge.

How can you trust a company who peddles the purportedly endless virtues of heavy Group I bright stock with some red dye, zero AW additives and some bar lube tackifier and calls it a "stabilizer"? Honest question.

Regarding "trial and error", no, non-standardized "testing" produces unreliable data which is why there are standardized testing protocols and approvals to legitimatize the results. Additive manufacturers make all kinds of fantastic claims that are borne out of a lack of requirement for demonstration of performance and are usually worded vaguely enough to insulate them from legal recourse should anything go fantastically wrong as a result of the use of their product.
I agree that some of the Lucas products are worthless, but this does not mean that all of their products are junk. Just like every other company...some items are top notch and others are turds.

My point is that I won't avoid an entire company just because they sell a few turds. But hopefully after a few experiences I will have the wherewithal to distinguish the turds from the treasures.

Back