0W-40
Screenshot_20201025-205256_Drive.jpg

0W-20
Screenshot_20201025-203334_Drive.jpg

0W-30
Screenshot_20201025-205600_Drive.jpg

5W-40
Screenshot_20201025-205739_Drive.jpg

For many oils without meets and exceeds are also acceptable. Whether it is acceptable or not have nothing to do with factual performance.

You're correct, for many, meets and exceeds isn't important either. But an oil that is certified with current API and/or ILSAC specs with "meets or exceeds" builder approvals, and has good TDS testing results, is acceptable for many who trust a reputable brand. At some point trust enters the equation. Meets and exceeds is just as reputable as ACEA which is a self test. ACEA does not certify oils, nor license, nor register, compliance certificates. However, ACEA recommend manufacturers register and self-certify their products. But I understand, being on an Approved manufacturer's' motor oil list is aways going to be the best assurance. There is no confusion there.

But this thread is only meant to show how much PAO is reported in Lucas PDS, nothing more.

Last edited:
You're correct, for many, meets and exceeds isn't important either. But an oil that is certified with current API and/or ILSAC specs with "meets or exceeds" builder approvals, and has good TDS testing results, is acceptable for many who trust a reputable brand. At some point trust enters the equation. Meets and exceeds is just as reputable as ACEA which is a self test. ACEA does not certify oils, nor license, nor register, compliance certificates. However, ACEA recommend manufacturers register and self-certify their products.
So if it is that good, why not approved?

So if it is that good, why not approved?

That's a question I cannot answer. Maybe they don't see their market share in a particular segment as profitable enough to invest in the actual approval process, I haven't a clue. But the point is, other than the BITOGer which follows these things, the average consumer really doesn't care. To them its a marketing driven purchase and all about viscosity and a trusted brand. Lucas is very much a trusted name outside Bitog...and i'd wager, amongst some Bitogers too.

Lucas is very much a trusted name outside Bitog...and i'd wager, amongst some Bitogers too.
I can honestly say that I trust Lucas to make at least some quality products...just like I trust other companies to do the same. Trial and error is the only way to really know whether a product works, and hopefully the anti-Lucas crowd has actually tried their products before throwing shade. Regardless, their power steering fluid is the best I have used. Whether or not it "extends life of pumps" or not is anybody's guess, but it just works...quieted and smoothed the steering on both vehicles. Now, their fuel system cleaner didn't seem to do much of anything, but this null effect is similar to that of most other fuel cleaners. I can't speak for their motor oils as I have not tried them.
1603698949096.png

The motor oil in the link is Dexos …
as for that power steering fluid … my 2010 Canyon had oxidation issues until I changed to that Lucas …
Then the fluid stayed clear for years …

That is an impressive amount of PAO for sure. Count me in the "suspicious of Lucas" crowd. Their "Oil Stabilizer" is absolutely nothing but ultra thick base oil with no additives whatsoever. At four times the price of lowly STP (which actually has some additives). Not impressed.

On the other hand I have heard many good things about their fuel treatments, and with so much PAO this oil figures to be at least serviceable.

I think in many cases of non-approved oils the blenders actually exceed limitations on some of the add pack chemicals and possibly the viscosity limits for licensing purposes. ZDDP comes to mind on Red Line along with their oils usually crowding the upper limits of thickness for any given viscosity. Probably true of others too.

I can honestly say that I trust Lucas to make at least some quality products...just like I trust other companies to do the same. Trial and error is the only way to really know whether a product works, and hopefully the anti-Lucas crowd has actually tried their products before throwing shade. Regardless, their power steering fluid is the best I have used. Whether or not it "extends life of pumps" or not is anybody's guess, but it just works...quieted and smoothed the steering on both vehicles. Now, their fuel system cleaner didn't seem to do much of anything, but this null effect is similar to that of most other fuel cleaners. I can't speak for their motor oils as I have not tried them.
View attachment 32538

How can you trust a company who peddles the purportedly endless virtues of heavy Group I bright stock with some red dye, zero AW additives and some bar lube tackifier and calls it a "stabilizer"? Honest question.

Regarding "trial and error", no, non-standardized "testing" produces unreliable data which is why there are standardized testing protocols and approvals to legitimatize the results. Additive manufacturers make all kinds of fantastic claims that are borne out of a lack of requirement for demonstration of performance and are usually worded vaguely enough to insulate them from legal recourse should anything go fantastically wrong as a result of the use of their product.

Regarding "trial and error", no, non-standardized "testing" produces unreliable data which is why there are standardized testing protocols and approvals to legitimatize the results. Additive manufacturers make all kinds of fantastic claims that are borne out of a lack of requirement for demonstration of performance and are usually worded vaguely enough to insulate them from legal recourse should anything go fantastically wrong as a result of the use of their product.
There is only one reason a blender would resort to non-standardized testing.

That's a question I cannot answer. Maybe they don't see their market share in a particular segment as profitable enough to invest in the actual approval process, I haven't a clue. But the point is, other than the BITOGer which follows these things, the average consumer really doesn't care. To them its a marketing driven purchase and all about viscosity and a trusted brand. Lucas is very much a trusted name outside Bitog...and i'd wager, amongst some Bitogers too.
Which is a shame. Trust and an SDS are not a legitimate substitute for approvals, licenses and certifications. I no longer work in a chemistry lab, but when I did I could have formulated a "motor oil" that would have matched the SDS for this oil. No one in their right mind would have used that oil in their vehicle however. This oil is dexos licensed and as far as I can tell, that's the extent of the trust you should put in the oil.

Not saying this oil is as bad as what I would have done but without actual certifications the SDS is just what it is intended for, to provide firefighters, handlers and first responders with safety information.

Don’t approvals cost BIG bucks? Lucas products from what I know are geared towards racing instead of oem’s,where there’s no need for manufacturers’ approvals.
No, and Lucas sells some (rebottled) approved lubricants that are blended by other companies, I believe Warren. It is not expensive to have somebody slap together a basic Lubrizol-based API-approved lubricant that's already been pre-tested.

I expect the biggest source of revenue for Lucas is that Leprechaun snot they peddle as "Oil Stabilizer". probably costs 10 cents to formulate and they make an obscene profit off of it, this allows them to sponsor and have their name show up on motorsports venues that lends legitimacy to their snake oil.

No, and Lucas sells some (rebottled) approved lubricants that are blended by other companies, I believe Warren. It is not expensive to have somebody slap together a basic Lubrizol-based API-approved lubricant that's already been pre-tested.

I expect the biggest source of revenue for Lucas is that Leprechaun snot they peddle as "Oil Stabilizer". probably costs 10 cents to formulate and they make an obscene profit off of it, this allows them to sponsor and have their name show up on motorsports venues that lends legitimacy to their snake oil.

Anybody who hangs around BITOG understands the power of psychology when it comes to things like motor oil and additives. Then add in the fact that folks buying this stuff are even less knowledgeable than most BITOGers.

A buddy of mine uses 5 quarts of 5w20 synthetic and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in his Jeep's Pentastar. Nothing will ever convince him that there is no need for it or value to it. I figure since 80% is a brand name syn, it probably doesn't do any harm, so I say nothing. I haven't even asked him what he thinks it does for his engine. I have, however, shown him UOA's from my Pentastar on 0w20 that show the oil to be in good shape even after 7500 miles. Doesn't faze him.

Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the base oil in LOS?

Reactions: 4WD
Back