PAO (up to 70%) in some Lucas Synthetics

better yet " Recommended for"

Isn't your point about blenders that we cant always trust their integrity when wordsmithing anything resembling an approval vs declaring they meet a hard spec? (dont want to put words in anyone mouth )
I trust some, but not others. Don't you?

But that is based on opinion, yes. For the most part I only trust actual approvals.

Im doing a lousy job of explaining my end sorry.

Are all oils of high enough quality to qualify for dexos 1 and 2 licensed for it?
Where MB and BMW branded oils become interchangeable - are both cross certed identically?

Usually this is no, but not always.

The answer is typically - the red tape and costs outweighs the benefit or the price point is already upside down to cater to that market. If you are already more expensive than 80% of the dexos market, paying for an additional license and volume fee to market downward may be a waste of money.

The oil may be completely interchangeable but not carry the license in which case "recommended for, or compatible with, or meets or exceeds" may be completely legit.
Most oils approved for MB229.5 are approved for BMW LL01. Exception are 0W ACEA A3 and C3 oils that do not carry anymore BMW LL01 or LL04 approvals.
It depends also on requirements. For example most oils 5W30 that are approved for MB229.51/52 are approved for VW 504.00/507.00 But, oils that are approved for MB229.51/52 in W40 grade are not approved for VW504.00/507.00 as that specification only recognizes 0W30 and 5W30 oils with min. HTHS of 3.5.
I would say that most oils coming from Mobil1, Castrol, Shell, Valvoline, Motul etc. are approved for all possible approvals if those approvals are compatible and oil can meet all specifications of those approvals.
For example in November 2015 Mobil1 introduced current 0W40 version. They did not list LL01 as they knew that BMW is doing update in 2018 (while Mobil1 is not official oil of BMW all these companies know what manufacturers of vehicles are going to demand 5-10 years in advance).

There were approvals or certifications you needed or wanted that you suspected an Idemitsu product had but did not list?

Yes they hid Noack for a while although not a cert itself that comes to mind as I wanted to see where it sat along with the other 0w-20's as there was scuttlebutt about it being outside of SN specs.

I was on constant lookout for 229.52 oil for years and had trouble finding it anywhere.
Certain valvoline formulas carry that but were impossible to find and had part number very similar to those that weren't, and checking while standing at a shelf was impossible.

The 229.52 list on the MB website is a big joke in the sprinter forums because you cant find those oils on shelves

ESP is now pretty common which carries it, but it was tough shopping for many years.

Last edited:
The (probably very heavy) PIB in the 0W-40 and 0W-30 looks less common. As it obviously need not be a pure relic from the sixties, why is it there? Did the industry arrive at that much departure from some other VII/thickeners at all costs and this is just Lucas' way of being cheap but still avoid some, or what would be the most urgent reasoning on that? (I know I should probably ask over at the russian club what it tends to mean in wintertime or summertime, HC or PAO etc., but there'd always be the language...

Still don't know why the PIB is there, but over a fresh PIB ultra shear paper (https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/l...102/article_deploy/lubricants-08-00102-v2.pdf)
I remembered to dip their 0W-40 now https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Syn-SAE-0W40.pdf
into Gokhan's tablework – et voilà: With the fiction of lowest VII percentage and highest BOV150 among all the 0W-40s it's quite the queen there.

Are they blending from motor oil and transmission fluid for me, going to publish 4-ball-wear for christmas and promise clean decomposition from new year?

selScreenshot 2020-11-28 024813.jpg

Last edited:
Back