PAO or Group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which provides the best protection a PAO or a group III. I realize there are alot of other factors involved here but generally which is the better base stock. Looking at the prices of the currently available "synthetics" somebody must surely think the Group III is equal to the PAO in quality and protection. Is it? I'm just trying to learn something here.

Generally its been well-accepted here that PAO is a better base oil than group III hydrocrack in terms of things such as oxidative stability.

Another PAO upside is that it can be used as a substitute for certain types of oils used in food processing. A fat substitute product on the market marketed by Procter and Gamble is essentially edible PAO -- Olestra. Never heard of any group III hydrocrack oils being suitable for human consumption.

Generally speaking, the higher the numerical value given to a basestock means the better. Group III is inferior to PAO as PAO's are inferior to Grp V esters. But it's not that simple. PAO/Esters both have qualities each doesn't have which is why we've seen blended basestocks using PAO's + Esters + AN's. For example, Mobil 1, Amsoil or Redline. Redline uses a much higher concentration of Polyolester basestock then M1 or Amsoil.

But realize, you can take a Grp II or III based oil and formulate very well using good additives and chemistry that will exceed a poorly formulated PAO oil. Examples of these would be Chevron Supreme, Schaeffer's and many others.

For longer drain intervals, I have no doubts that PAO's are superior to most Group III's. This is why Amsoil/Mobil use them.

I guess what really gets me is alot of the Group III's billed as synthetics are priced the same as the PAO's. Do we have Castrol to thank for this?

quote:

I guess what really gets me is alot of the Group III's billed as synthetics are priced the same as the PAO's. Do we have Castrol to thank for this?

The performance of many Grp III's are close to many PAO's according to what I've read. Amsoil's XL line are group III's and do show good results. This is an example of that as is Castrol's oils. It's all about $$. Mobil's biggest advantage is they are the largest producer of PAO's and can make an oil cheaper then the rest bc they make it. They also sell their PAO's to Amsoil and other blenders.

For sure you have to look at the whole package when selecting an oil. It can't be judged soley on the base stock.

[ March 01, 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: sully ]

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
Generally its been well-accepted here that PAO is a better base oil than group III hydrocrack in terms of things such as oxidative stability.

Another PAO upside is that it can be used as a substitute for certain types of oils used in food processing. A fat substitute product on the market marketed by Procter and Gamble is essentially edible PAO -- Olestra. Never heard of any group III hydrocrack oils being suitable for human consumption.

This stuff lubricated a lot of people's system. Well, you know the rest of the story....
shocked.gif

I will take my PAO in my oil and not in my food.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
A fat substitute product on the market marketed by Procter and Gamble is essentially edible PAO -- Olestra.

This stuff lubricated a lot of people's system. Well, you know the rest of the story....
shocked.gif

I will take my PAO in my oil and not in my food.

Yeah. In that instance, the whole idea of synthetic causing 'leaks' is quite more than just a myth.
tongue.gif

I bought 45 quarts Havoline - Group III 'Synthetic' @ $1.00 each
smile.gif
at an AutoZone clearence. But spending $4.50 for group III Castrol Syntec is not such a great deal.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back