Painting Question

Al

I am in charge of painting our Gun Club clubhouse. We have some exterior steel doors painted green. The final color will be white. The primer coat of white Kilz obviously did not totally cover the green. I assume I should just put 2 coats of finish coat (latex) on instead of another Kilz and then a finish coat?

The exterior of the building is cement block which is painted very very light yellow...almost white. I am oping to get away with a coat of Kilz and one finish coat.

Light sanding and one coat of primer followed by two coats of the finish paint is the way to go. Keep in mind you might need a third coat of finish paint depending on how deep a green you're going over, and how pure your white is. The purer the white the worse it covers. I would prime it, allow the primer the required drying time, and apply one coat of finish paint. Follow up with the second and third coat after the first finish coat dried overnight. HTH

Light sanding and one coat of primer followed by two coats of the finish paint is the way to go. Keep in mind you might need a third coat of finish paint depending on how deep a green you're going over, and how pure your white is. The purer the white the worse it covers. I would prime it, allow the primer the required drying time, and apply one coat of finish paint. Follow up with the second and third coat after the first finish coat dried overnight. HTH
Wouldn't the quality of the paint also matter? Also would you go semigloss on an exterior door?

For exterior paint I like to use the top of the line paint, seems to last longer like Emerald or Duration from Sherwin Williams or Aura from Benjamin Moore.

Wouldn't the quality of the paint also matter? Also would you go semigloss on an exterior door?

For exterior paint I like to use the top of the line paint, seems to last longer like Emerald or Duration from Sherwin Williams or Aura from Benjamin Moore.
Quality matters for sure. Cheap paint usually covers poorly, fades, and doesn't last as long. On exterior trim I'd used a semi gloss, or mid gloss finish paint. Top of the line products from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore are usually a good choice. Home Depots top of the line products aren't bad either. I usually use BM paints.

Back