Paint thickness: OEM Single Stage vs OEM Two Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota has a white color that is still shot as single stage during assembly at the factory. They also have colors that are two stage.

Would they shoot these paints to the same thickness?

Or would the single stage be inherently thinner because the clear is mixed in with the base?

Clear is not mixed in with base for single stage applications. Single stage would be built as a base in it itself as a system.Base/Clear application base would have no clearcoat properties just color followed with a clearcoat . Final performance would all be in the chemistry used in either base/clear or single stage system.

The kind of clear/color paint job you are talking about is done but not common in OE applications. It is an old school trick commonly used with lacquer paint but works very well with modern single stage urethane.
It is a multi step job with a couple of color coats then a coat of 50/50 another of 75 clear 25 color and a coat or two of clear.

This makes it a thick paint job but it will really pop and has the durability of a base clear job. It is also common to do a 50/50 for door jambs, inner fenders, under trunk/hood and firewalls.
Enamels and lacquer are the most common single stage, the lacquer will be thinner and flatter and easier to burn through than base clear but the enamel is usually thicker and has more orange peel.

If you thin enamel down so thin to reduce orange peel it probably has the same thickness as base/clear as it will require more coats. Flattening enamel is where the term color sanding comes from, an extra coat or two was applied for this reason on the better paint jobs of the day.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I know the single stage Taffeta White on my Accord is thin.

How do you know that?
Just curious since my Accord is in the same paint.
Lord knows that it may bead water nicely after a good polishing, it'll never really have any pop.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I know the single stage Taffeta White on my Accord is thin.

How do you know that?
Just curious since my Accord is in the same paint.
Lord knows that it may bead water nicely after a good polishing, it'll never really have any pop.

You will see a white tint on your cloth as you buff off the polish or compound. That is your paint.

Okay, but you'll see the same with any single-stage paint, or at least I always did back in the day when single-stage paint was the norm.
That doesn't in and of itself equate with a thin paint film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back