P1351 Lexus LS400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could write a novel on this mechanics tale. Remember the "Clanking going on in the '98 LS400" post that was happening because mechanic #1
failed to tighten the cam tensioners after replacing them both. Well, after doing all that I got P1346 and P1351. Mechanic #2 said
the timing if off and he said it was off a tooth or two on both sides. He fixed that. Car always ran fine. Now about 30 miles later I
get another P1351. I said, it's just a fluke. Erased it and it came back in another 30 or so miles.

I woke up and thought to myself, why don't I recheck the timing myself? Watched a few youtubes and went for it. I have attached
some pics so you guys can verify the timing belt is on correctly.

Assuming timing belt is on correctly, my question is, "Where do I go from here?" Mechanic #1 and #2 are at a loss as of 8:30 am this morning.

As you can see in the last phone, it was a little tight turning the crank from up top with radiator in place.

Attachments

• CZOF7361.JPG
    CZOF7361.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 37
  • VNUJ8886.jpg
    VNUJ8886.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 37
  • EBDI9766.jpg
    EBDI9766.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 37
  • KQCN9600.jpg
    KQCN9600.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38
What does the LS400 have as a belt tensioner? The usual aisin hydraulic one of the period?

I've had a similar problem twice in the past:

1) Was the aisin tensioner failing and let the belt get loose

2) Was because I had to remove one of the cam sprockets to do a belt change on the rear bank of a transverse V6 (Lexus ES) and it didn't get tightened correctly and was loose (actually not-my fault! - didn't inspect experienced assistants' work).

When the belt tensioner was failing, it made a "clanking" sound that was very loud and metal-on-metal sounding. This would could cause the belt to get a tooth or two off continually. Presuming the LS400 has a similar tensioner, not sure at all.

My personal motto with auto repairs is "if you didn't bleed, were you really working hard enough?" So wave that last photo with pride...

What does the LS400 have as a belt tensioner? The usual aisin hydraulic one of the period?

I've had a similar problem twice in the past:

1) Was the aisin tensioner failing and let the belt get loose

2) Was because I had to remove one of the cam sprockets to do a belt change on the rear bank of a transverse V6 (Lexus ES) and it didn't get tightened correctly and was loose (actually not-my fault! - didn't inspect experienced assistants' work).

When the belt tensioner was failing, it made a "clanking" sound that was very loud and metal-on-metal sounding. This would could cause the belt to get a tooth or two off continually. Presuming the LS400 has a similar tensioner, not sure at all.

My personal motto with auto repairs is "if you didn't bleed, were you really working hard enough?" So wave that last photo with pride...
The belt tensioner was replaced same time as timing belt, water pump, etc. with Toyota OEM purchased from Lexus dealer as are all my parts.

I have a lot of things I could say about the "blood" but I would probably be censored. LOL ;)

I don't know, it looks like the Left Cam is off to me. Here's a diagram that I found. Looks like the L should be lined up with the wide indicator coming down, not the "T". It could be the angle of the picture, but it looks like they have it lined up to the wrong mark.
1622128803430.jpg

1622128888609.jpg

the car is timed correctly.

VVT units may be slow to react or not working at all. the PCM references the CMP to detect change (or lack thereof) in one or both of the cams

Last edited:
You already have a thread on this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back