P/S stiff on odyssey

Old problem I have been having, but the P/s on the odessey which is a 2006 started having stiff steering after removing the ATF and using Honda power steering fluid. I think its time to rebuild the pump, but is the main problem the seals or something else? Anybody had the same problem?

Capture.JPG

Get a Honda reman pump without pulley (use the old one). Depending on your skill level they can be rebuilt without much difficulty but whatever you decide do not use an aftermarket pump on these even ones with lifetime warranty are going in and out like a fiddlers elbow.
If pressed for time I just grab this one from the local dealer and the car is on the road again in 45 min, never an issue with one.

This O.P. swears by Lube Gard PSF >>>>>

What pump number are you on? I think we were on our 4th in our 2006.

First and best is to always overfill. Even if you rebuild or replace make it it almost full to the top. Ignore the line.

First and best is to always overfill. Even if you rebuild or replace make it it almost full to the top. Ignore the line.
Not sure how/why that would make a difference?

I put a cheapo new pump from Amazon, like $60 - $70, on our 2006 TSX 4 years ago with the idea of having the original rebuilt.
That dang pump is doing fine.
Good luck.

I put a cheapo new pump from Amazon, like $60 - $70, on our 2006 TSX 4 years ago with the idea of having the original rebuilt.
That dang pump is doing fine.
Good luck.
I thing the seals and possibly the bushings on the factory pumps were defective from day one. A real screw up by Honda. Our first few Honda replaced no charge.

It is also possible in some applications the reservoir was undersized.

Maybe not so obvious when bad seals and known design issues are in the mix. Honda replaced many thousands PS pumps.
Yeah I read some issues and one of them are the seals going bad.
I don't know why you would replace the pump when the problem is obviously the fluid.
It was stiff then but stiffer now, the fluid shouldn't be a problem when the previous person who serviced it used ATF instead of oem honda psf. It was supposed to use honda psf?

I'm on the first one. Never touched.

Back