P/S Hose Clamp

6F6F64A5-ECC5-4568-867C-3283124B6FFA.jpeg

I plan to replace the circled hose with an aftermarket hose assembly. To be specific, it will be a Sunsong 340-4447. I think the hose is a metric size with a 10mm ID, so slightly larger than a 3/8”.

The OE constant tension clamps are expensive and I am not sure if they will even work with an aftermarket hose. I am considering a pack of Gates 32201 clamps but I wonder if there are better options.

D9A383A6-B52F-46D4-BD1B-656EE2282670.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just had that leak on my 2011. I think the hose is getting hard? no real clamping force from the clamp.

Easy fix though. I just moved the clamp closer to the barb, sealed it up. Reused the same clamp

The Sunsong hose will be closer to OE than any other aftermarket if not identical, use Subaru # 909170062 clamps. This is Amazon but they are less then $4 ea at the dealer. the first one is 15.8 O.D., Honda has one that is 15.5. What ever you use dont use the worm drive crap unless they are lined.

I also keep these in stock, they are the some of the strongest.

The Sunsong hose will be closer to OE than any other aftermarket if not identical, use Subaru # 909170062 clamps. This is Amazon but they are less then $4 ea at the dealer. the first one is 15.8 O.D., Honda has one that is 15.5. What ever you use dont use the worm drive crap unless they are lined.

Thank you

I just had that leak on my 2011. I think the hose is getting hard? no real clamping force from the clamp.

Easy fix though. I just moved the clamp closer to the barb, sealed it up. Reused the same clamp
The hose shrinks (and hardens) so the required clamping force exceeds what the constant-tension clamp is able to provide.

This is common on a lot cars, the Sunsong hose hold up really well. Here are a few clamps I use, I stopped using the belleville washer constant tension style and now use the wave type (nothing wrong with the belleville type but these look not so industrial), these are perfect for plastic rad tanks and thermostat elbows/fittings subjected to temp extremes or vibration.

9/16 (14mm) wide beefy clamps. I use this vendor for most of my clamps and stainless tubing, not the cheapest but a good vendor.

I've been using the Breeze Constant Torque clamps since 2015, and haven't had one leak yet, nor break a plastic hose barb. Not sure if they go as small as your application.

I try and replace the clamps in the same location as they were in.
Also, the FI type clamps seem to work very well.
GTS-32285.JPG
This is the type I look for as well. I’ve seen the more typical “louvered” screw clamps hood many things well, but this design seems better to me.

@The Critic whats the matter with the OE clamp? Do we have objective basis that it is not good, won’t work, etc.?

The hose shrinks (and hardens) so the required clamping force exceeds what the constant-tension clamp is able to provide.
On all sorts of makes and models it seems like this is a common hose weeping and leak point. Not sure why, but I’ve seen it on various European, Japanese and Domestic vehicles.

This is the type I look for as well. I’ve seen the more typical “louvered” screw clamps hood many things well, but this design seems better to me.

@The Critic whats the matter with the OE clamp? Do we have objective basis that it is not good, won’t work, etc.?
Since the application is problematic, it is best practice to replace the clamp when replacing the hose. Not sure if it is truly necessary, but it is just something that I have always done.

With that said, it is entirely possible that the new aftermarket hose will work with the current clamp.

I try and replace the clamps in the same location as they were in.
Also, the FI type clamps seem to work very well.
GTS-32285.JPG
For small diameter like the 14mm O.D. FI hose these work very well, I use them as well as a single ear crimp like the Oetiker 153 series for small stuff, it looks clean and professional and they work so well, the only drawback is they have to be cut off which is not a big deal.

4207FE32-B000-4285-A52A-A089541D7B6D.jpeg

Normally ~$500 of OE hoses.

Less than $100 total for everything. 🤔

They make very good stuff that I am sorry to say puts Gates and Dayco to shame so it is no surprise they are OE on over 20 manufacturers inc Chinese GM SAIC MOTOR, don't be surprised if Sunsong hoses are OE in other GM products.
The days of Chinese products being automatically junk are gone, they do make them for other companies like Affinia (Raybestos) at a price point and it shows, those and other brands are some big US names that once were regarded for their high quality.

I have a feeling some of the suggested above hose clamps would outlive the vehicles they're used on.

Back