P/S Fluid in 93 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to change out the fluid in my truck.

There's an obscure spec that it says it must meet in the owners manual, but I assume this is out of date.

What are my options at stores of good brands. Cost is no object, looking for the best I can put in that is available at a regular auto parts store.

All I see is Supertech at Walmart and maybe Prestone... are there others out there?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject.

Generic SuperTech PS fluid works fine in my 92 S10. I just suck out the reservoir and refill with each oil change to keep it fresh, I think this is more important than the fluid you use in this vintage of steering systems.

There are better and more expensive fluids out there of course, but that my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Some generic ATF will do you well.

Again, forgive my ignorance, but isn't ATF slightly different than P/S fluid, something about the dynamics of the fluid under pressure and its ability to resist foaming? I'd be happy to use it if it's the same stuff. I understand they're both hydraulic fluids.

I've used both in my Buick LeSabre's power steering system. The ATF has held up better, and honestly felt better in the power steering system.

Not a lot of stores carry it but Redline PSF works great and meets the GM spec. I ordered mine from Summit Racing, you can get it from Amazon as well. Or just find a store that sells Redline products. I've had good luck with Valvoline PSF as well. The reason I tried the Redline in my '96 Buick wagon was because it was stiff or the power steering was non-existant at times when the weather was cold and it was just started in the morning. I put some Auto Rx in the power steering resevoir for 1-2k miles then flushed with the Redline. That was a couple of years ago with no issues since.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
You may want to add an in-line filter like a Magnefine.

I'm hesitant at this point to go crazy. As of right now the pump is 17 years old and has close to 370k miles on it with the original fluid in there.

In fact, I'm somewhat worried what will happen when I change it out.

What's the best method for flushing? Disconnect the return line and turn the wheels back and forth while adding to the reservoir?

What kind of risks am I running by flushing this? Am I better off doing the "half-assed" reservoir exchange over a few weeks?

Changing the fluid is better than not changing it. I just changed the fluid in my Buick's PS pump. What strikes me is that at least for my car, it doesn't care about power steering fluid or ATF, as long as it's fresh.

just to warn you changing the fluid on mine cleared up false seal on one of the rubber hoses. The end result was fluid being sprayed on to the bottom of the hood and having to install a new rubber hose. This was on a 95 gmc sierra.

Well when you suck out all the oil, may want to check the hoses at the same time being it is more than 15 years. The rubber portion may be brittle by now.

I agree that fresh oil is better than none. Who knows may be the truck will last another 300k.

I had to replace the supply line power steering hose about a year ago as the original was weeping. Now I just need to go out and get some cheap ATF or power steering fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back