OW-16 vs 0W-20 viscosity specs - does it really matter.

Ahh ha! So thicker is better. 😁
Yeah, film strength (AF/AW package) can only give a lower viscosity a crutch that at some point will also fail to prevent wear. Film thickness from viscosity is the main wear mitigator, and when parts are actually touching and rubbing more and more is when the sacrificial film strength's wear mitigation comes in. But it can only do so much before it too fails to keep wear down.

I would only run 5w30, but that’s me. I ran it in my cars and trucks ever since the turn of the century, my latest on 08 Tundra, wife’s two 4 runners and now my Land cruiser. Never had any engine issues ever.

I don’t see the point in trying to go so thin, unless it’s the EPA trying to squeeze every bit of fuel economy for emissions out of the vehicle these days, to keep our sell out Politicians happy.

What instigated this thread is I am debating dumping the new 0W-16 out of my Toyota and replacing it with 0W-20. The 0W-16 is new. I took the car to the dealer - feel obligated as its still in warranty - and they changed the oil for free - work order and window sticker say 0w-16 which is what the manual calls for.

In reviewing the J300 specs, there is quite a bit of overlap in the spec, and HTHS isn't that far apart?

I also have no idea what they put in - likely the cheapest crap around. However in looking at the M1 Advanced Fuel Economy for the 16 vs 20 weight, there like 7.2 Vs 8.2 KV@100C?

So do I dump it and put in 0w-20?

Side question, if I do - do I change the filter - its a new OEM filter - so I am thinking not on that part.

View attachment 137054
If you do mostly short trip driving 16 is pretty awesome.
If not 20 might suit your engine better.

My local Toyota does not unless you are paying extra. My VW dealer doesn’t either.
Sorry but I just cannot believe this. At least not a dealer in the US. Perhaps you're not in the US? If you are, you should be raising absolute hell with them. One star reviews every time. Complaints to Toyota and Volkswagen of North America. Ridiculous. Absolutely no excuses.

Sorry but I just cannot believe this. At least not a dealer in the US. Perhaps you're not in the US? If you are, you should be raising absolute hell with them. One star reviews every time. Complaints to Toyota and Volkswagen of North America. Ridiculous. Absolutely no excuses.
Dealers aren't required to use OE branded oil and most of their "spill and fill" lube services use bulk unless the vehicle calls for a specific spec that isn't common enough or isn't available on a bulk product.

Local Ford dealer here a few years ago started pushing Mobil 1 for example, while Ford has no relationship with Mobil. This was the dealer's choice.

Dealers aren't required to use OE branded oil and most of their "spill and fill" lube services use bulk unless the vehicle calls for a specific spec that isn't common enough or isn't available on a bulk product.

Local Ford dealer here a few years ago started pushing Mobil 1 for example, while Ford has no relationship with Mobil. This was the dealer's choice.
I don't know what kind of places you are doing business with, but that would immediately lose me as a customer. You should also complain to the vehicle manufacturer. Castrol Edge Professional etc. along with exact weight are mentioned on ALL of my receipts, free oil changes or not from ALL of my VW dealers and my Volvo dealer. The relationship of the dealer with the manufacturer gets them the factory parts and fluids that go with your vehicle. There is none of this "spill and fill" bulk crap. Do they give you autozone control arm bushings too? I mean come on.

Meh it’s not a big deal. The oil the dealer uses meets the license or approval requirement listed in the manual. There is no way the manufacturer branded product is somehow magically better. And if I believed it was, I would ask them to use it and they would. But it will cost me more.

Not one of the things I plant my flag on the hill and fight to the death. Besides, in the case of my VW I didn’t want them to use the oil listed in the manual. I asked for 504 00 approval instead and that’s what I got. Still not VW brand however.

Back