overfilled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem my transmission is overfilled from the hot mark on the dipstick by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

I'm not noticing any effects of this considering there are no bubbles on the dipstick and shifting is fine.

Last week I had it in the shop for an exhaust leak but when they were driving it into the garage the CV joint failed, so that had to be done as well.

What I suspect happened...

Transmission fluid leaked out when the old axle was removed. The mechanic topped up the fluid with what he thought was an amount equal to the leak amount... but actually overfilled.

What they tell me happened...

The mechanic never topped up the fluid given he swapped the axles so quick that hardly anything leaked out.

What reality tells me...

Coupla years ago the tranny was overfilled and I siphoned enough out to return it to a reasonably normal level. Why is it after this job that the level is now reading higher? That seems to point to the mechanic dumping in too much fluid and now telling me they didn't because they don't want the trouble of siphoning the excess out.

It seems like a case of my word against theirs.

Last edited:
That amount overfilled wont hurt a thing, leave it as is. Automatic trannys have a breather vent on top to blow out severely overfilled sumps.

It reads higher cold than when warm.

I just like the fluid levels to be correct so I'm a pain that way.
lol.gif

I like to cut the mechanics some slack but they should at least have the ability to fill a sump to the correct level.

In the old days one might expect that the seals between engine and transmission were leaking. The fluid level MUST be checked according to the owners manual which is typically; car on level ground-fully warmed up-shift through all gears and put it park. Check fluid with engine idling.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
What kind of car is this?

2001 Dodge Neon w/automatic

It has been a great and reliable car for me despite their horrid reputation.

I don't think the transmission is drastically overfilled. Going out again in a coupla hours to drive around getting her warmed up then check again... and then head back to the shop.

Probably not a big issue. I know my transmission in my Buick LeSabre is overfilled by half a quart since I dumped that half-quart in there.

You can view it as insurance the pickup won't suck air during a really hard turn.

On this vehicle the transmission fluid is checked with the engine running after cycling the transmission through the gears then placing it in PARK and letting it sit that way for at least a minute before checking.

Now I have other issues...

As approaching the vehicle from the front I saw about a 6 inch stain of fresh coolant under the engine bay at the left front.

So then I put the key in the drivers door and it just turns around without engaging the mechanism. So there I am... thinking this just keeps getting better. I suspect the mechanism has let go of the lock cylinder.

The coolant leak has me a little more concerned as I had just revamped the cooling last summer what with all new hoses, thermostat, rad, water pump, etc. We'll see what the shop says... I really don't have the place or tools right now to tackle this stuff myself.

One of these days you will come across a piece of suitable tubing.
You can simply siphon some out, when the time feels right.
No hurry - no immediate need.

Coolant issue... external leak of the head gasket.

Mechanic tells me I could likely run with it like this for a while, but I'm getting it fixed.

headgasket is an extremely expensive job to perform on a 9 year old car- is the rest of the car in good enough condition to make this kind of investment?

Originally Posted By: ACK2001
headgasket is an extremely expensive job to perform on a 9 year old car- is the rest of the car in good enough condition to make this kind of investment?

Absolutely.

I look at it this way... its cheaper than purchasing another new or used vehicle at this point.

I've had a few repairs done on this one over the last 3 years, but nothing out of the ordinary for its age... so at this point it is good for a few more miles and I want to get some of my moneys worth out of that repair investment.

I figure on keeping it until next summer and then start looking for a new or newer one... those Ford Fusions have really caught my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back