Overfilled over recommended oil sump for Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 honda civic Si. Honda recommend to add in 4.6 qt of oil, but I usually do 5 qts without no problem. Even with 5 qt I am never at the top dot on the dip stick. So yestersday when doing my oil change, I put a total of about 5.6 qt. I am about 1/8 inch over the full dot. I drove it for about 30 minute yestersday and it drove as normal. No smoking or knocking.

I am worried now that I overfilled it to a dangerous level. What do you guys think?

That's not enough to do anything, fill level has a margin of saftey for over filling.

Shop double filled my daughters 91 Lumina with oil and she drove it 5000KM.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You'll be fine! I'd stay with the 5qts though. But, If your worried, drain of just a bit.

I also doubt it would harm anything, but it is a new car and I would probably drop the oil to the top of the full level and call it a day. JMO

Manual usually have warning about overfilling but that little over should not be a big issue. I usually feel a substantial loss of power when I'm a pint overfilled - sometimes on the car too ... Everyone shoud abide by the OM or FSM capacity for oil fill amounts NOT the dipstick; They SHOULD agree (like my toyota) but many do not (Like my subaru). If they dont agree - just make a mental note (and note in the OM) where the level come to on the stick - COLD on a perfectly level setting.

Last edited:
No offense intended, but I'd do the opposite. I'd go by the dipstick reading rather than the OM's stated capacity. Something about ignoring a physical reading from the car in question in favor of the OM just sits wrong with me.

I concur with the others. You could also check the stick immediately after shut down to check for bubbling, foaming, etc.

p.s. being the official site nitpicker, I have mercifully corrected the spelling of your thread title. The idea of an oil "slump" is just too depressing. If you'd confessed to overfilling your "slump" with "MobilE-1", I'd have banished you at once...
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Ok, I just check my dipstick when the oil is cold it and it was right at the top dot. I also checked it after driving for 15 minute and it was at the top dot.

After driving it for 15 minute, I instantly check the dipstick for bubble.

I did find fine bubble on the dipstick. Not a lot but it is on it.

You state that you are filling your car 1 qt over the recommended amount.
This is not a good practice.
Engine volumes don't change, but dipsticks can be off for a bunch of reasons.

Originally Posted By: tropic
No offense intended, but I'd do the opposite. I'd go by the dipstick reading rather than the OM's stated capacity. Something about ignoring a physical reading from the car in question in favor of the OM just sits wrong with me.
That means you assume the dipstick is correct and calibrated - it SHOULD be, but there are many conspiring factors that could make that reading incorrect. Both specs are helpfull especially for those who cannot drain their engine completely. The Designed Capacity for Refill in the FSM or OM should be the MAX amount of oil that you put in the car sump say +/- a cupfull. I usually under fill by a pint and then adjust from there.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't know we had that many nitpickers around. No need to drain out 1/3 of a quart. Next time you have an engine apart, take note of the lowest position of the crankshaft. Then match that with the dipstick and see how much margin of safety you have. Also, if your oil pan is say 24x10 inches. If you add a quart of oil you might raise the level by 1/4 of an inch. Not enough to be sweating bullets about.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Wow, didn't know we had that many nitpickers around. ... Also, if your oil pan is say 24x10 inches. If you add a quart of oil you might raise the level by 1/4 of an inch. Not enough to be sweating bullets about.
My Yaris pan is about 7 x 5 inches! The oil capacity affects the PCV resonance also - remember the crankcase is constantly pressurising and depressurising due to the relative positioning of the piston underside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back